Infantry Lehr Regiment - History and Insignia?

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Debica Fusilier
Supporter

Infantry Lehr Regiment - History and Insignia?

Post by Debica Fusilier »

So far google, msn, and yahoo, searches, have failed me, and I haven't found any topics here, nor anything on 3rd Reich Factbook or this site, so I am asking, does anyone have a brief history of the Infantry Lehr Regiment (Atleast while in Anzio) and it's insignia? (If any)

Thanks.
Chris Handy
Debica Fusilier
Supporter

*Bumpity*
Chris Handy
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Debica Fusilier,

I have also been trying to find out more about it.

The Infantry Lehr Regiment was not a standing unit. It consisted of the demonstration battalions attached to the various infantry schools around Berlin in Wehrkreis III. Lehr units were only called out in emergencies such as at Anzio. The artillery demonstration units from Wehrkreis II also contributed a composite Artillerie Lehr Regiment of heavy guns for Anzio. At that time the Panzer Lehr Division was in formation in France and no armoured demonstration units took part at Anzio.

It should be emphasised that although the various Lehr units are usually portrayed as elite, they were in fact not from the Feldheer (Field Army) but from the Ersatzheer (Replacement Army). Their equivalent in the Anglo-American armies stayed in their schools in their home countries and never saw combat. Although well drilled in the theoretical application of battle tactics, most of their manpower came straight to them from recruit depots and had not seen combat. They were not "chocolate soldiers" but they were not a battle hardened elite either.

Cheers,

Sid.
Debica Fusilier
Supporter

Danke, sid, that explains alot. Anything on insignia?
Chris Handy
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Debica Fusilier,

Nope.

Yours unhelpfully,

Sid.
JeffF.
Contributor

Would the type of personnel apply to Pz Lehr Div in 1944?

Post by JeffF. »

Sid,
Would this be true of Panzer Lehr Division also? Most books claim that the division was made up of veteran troops detached to the replacement/training centers as demonstration troops. I'd always admired them for having the discipline to do that. I know that in the U.S. army combat units would have dumped their least desirable elements if tasked to provide veterans for such an assignment.
best regards,
Jeff
P.S. I'm not really a new member, just returned after a few years away.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi JeffF,

There is a recent thread entitled "Panzer Lehr" that covers exactly this ground.

If you use the Search facility above and type in "Panzr Lehr" and "Sid Guttridge", you should get it.

Cheers,

Sid.
JeffF.
Contributor

Thanks Sid

Post by JeffF. »

I appreciate the info and I really tried to find the thread but
I couldn't get it down to less than 200 items none of which were titled "Panzer Lehr." I'd assume that most of the officers and NCOs of the Panzer Lehr would have combat experience even if most of their troops were right out of training. Would that be a reasonable assumption?
best regards,
Jeff
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi JeffF,

Try under General German Military Discussion for 14 October.

Generally the officers and NCOs had combat experience but the bulk of the manpower apparently had not.

Cheers,

Sid.
JeffF.
Contributor

Lehr motorized inf May '40?

Post by JeffF. »

Was there a Lehr motorized inf reg raised to participate in the French campaign in May '40? Waht about Poland '39?
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi JeffF,

From memory I can only give you the outline of the lehr units subordinate to the motorised command of the Ersatzheer.

In Poland there was a Panzer Lehr Abteilung and a Lehr reconnaissance abteilung attached to Guderian's XIX Corps and several Lehr anti-tank companies were sent to one of the later waves of infantry divisions to give them their divisional A/T companies. In Poland the Panzer Lehr Abteilung had more medium tanks than any individual panzer division.

The panzer lehr abteilung became the core of one of the new panzer divisions formed over the winter of 1939/40, so the reconnaissance abteilung was the only mechanised Lehr unit to serve in the French Campaign, where it was Guderian's corps reconnaissance unit.

Guderian's "Panzer Leader" has details of their operations in Poland and France.

I don't know anything about the activities of the infantry, artillery, engineer, signals lehr units in these campaigns. There may have been none.

Generally speaking, Guderian seems to have been the main advocate of fielding Lehr units. He used the above units in 1939-40 and created the Panzerlehr Division in 1944.

As it is from memory, all the above deserves checking, but I am confident that it is accurate in outline.

Cheers,

Sid.
JeffF.
Contributor

Lehr

Post by JeffF. »

Thanks Si,
I have a print out of a very old feldgrau post that has the OB for France '40. I had a Lehr unit of unspecified size under XIX Pz Cps and also a motorized infantry brigade labelled only "SE" which I have been entirely unsuccessful at finding. I know it isn't the SS LAH, 11th Mot Bde nor the GD regiment because they are all listed. Any ideas?
best regards,
Jeff
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi JeffF,

I will look in "Panzer Leader" to see if it is mentioned.

Cheers,

Sid.
JeffF.
Contributor

Thanks Sid

Post by JeffF. »

I have Panzer Leader and Panzer Battles, I don't find Guderian nor Mellenthin mentioning it. The poster gives no source so I don't even know if its German or English abreviation.
JeffF.
Contributor

Site w/ Lehr Reg. 900 prior to '40 Campaign

Post by JeffF. »

This site states that there was a Lehr Regiment 900 (mot) prior to the France 1940 campaign. In various OBs I have not seen any such Lehr motorized regiment mentioned. Sid has shown there was a recce battalion. Can anyone confirm or deny this info?
thanks

http://www.geocities.com/mdx.geo/kradschuetzen1c.html