Volksturm Associations

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

snafu947

Volksturm Associations

Post by snafu947 »

Hello. I've posted at other places on this site, but I thought I'd try here.

A group of us are doing some research on the Volksturm. One thing I've found helpful in the past is contacting the veterans themselves.

Does anyone out there know of either Volksturm Associations set up like Infantrie or Panzer Division Associations, or of individual members of the former Volksturm or Hitler Youth?

If the answer to the above is yes, would you know contact information?

Any help to this would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you.
Wm.T. Ripley
Doug Nash
Author

Volkssturm Associations

Post by Doug Nash »

In all my dealings with German Vets associations, I've never come across such an animal nor have I ever heard any of the German vets I know mention one. I doubt you would find such a thing, since by its very nature the majority of the Volkssturm members were civilians, and most of these were drafted involuntarily towards the end of the war. Also, most of these men were of the older age groups to begin with, though you would find a sprinkling of Hitler Youth intermingled with them. Since these units were together for only a short time and had little if any time to build any sense of unit identity or loyalty, it's highly unlikely that after the war, those that survived would have had the time or inclination to create a veteran's organization.
Good luck though - don't give up looking.
Doug