A little idiomatic Erhard Milch

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

A little idiomatic Erhard Milch

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

It's the one line in italics which I'm guessing is along the lines of "they've used everything up"...

Noch im Sommer 1943 schien Milch überzeugt zu sein, daß, wie er sagte, der Russe den kommenden "Winter als kampfkräftige Truppe nicht mehr" überstehe; "das ist ausgeschlossen! Er hat nichts zu essen, und er hat keine Transportmöglichkeiten mehr. Er sitzt bis zur Halskrause mit allem voll! Seine Produktion wird auch nicht mehr steigen, sondern jetzt langsam, dann aber zum Herbst rapide absinken. Darüber haben wir ganz genaue Unterlagen und ganz neue Meldungen."

Even in the summer of 1943 Milch seemed convinced that, as he said, the Russians would "not get through the winter with any more combat-worthy troops. We can rule it out! They have nothing to eat and no more transport.

Their production won't increase, but fall slowly, then rapidly in the autumn. We have quite detailed documents and brand-new reports on this subject". :[] :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: A little idiomatic Erhard Milch

Post by fridgeman »

"Sie sitzen bis zum Hals in der Scheiße" is a common german sentence to describe someones hopeless situation.
Translated to english, something like "they are stuck in shi.t up to their necks".

The writer was a gentlemand id say, who did not wanted to write shi.t, but instead just said "everything/mit allem"
as a placeholder for the rude word.

EDIT: Why i cant type @#%?

I wondered, why we have a filter on forums that ban a word like shi.t. We discuss here serious subjects,
on a moderated forum for mature people. If someone writes shi.t, im sure he has a reason. If not, we still have moderators.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: A little idiomatic Erhard Milch

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Many thanks Fridgeman. :up:

I'd say the polite English version would be "They're up to their neck in it..."

Not that I'm a polite Englishman :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man