Schnelle Abteilung

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

John W. Howard

Schnelle Abteilung

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Gents:
I ran across a "Schnelle Abteilung" operating in 1944. What exactly is it?? I assume it is an emergency Abteilung with some means of transport faster than marching on foot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John W. Howard
Leo Niehorster
Author

Re: Schnelle Abteilung

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Bicycle equipped infantry, heavy weapons in motor vehicles.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Thank you very much Leo. I appreciate the help.
John W. Howard
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Each one I have seen is 3 Co. in total. Which one are you looking at ? I think most were on the west front, and in the 88th corps to boot (at first).

Mad Dog
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Maddog:
Schnelle Abteilung 603 is the one I located. The presence of bicycle equipped troops in the vicinity squares nicely with Dr. Niehorster's information. Anything else you might have is greatly appreciated. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Tessin does not list a Schnelle-Abteilung 603, but does list a 608. @{

Is the source a map?
Or is it based on a map?
Sometimes, the numbers in the copies of original documents can be very hard to decipher.

Cheers
Leo
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello

"Schnelle Abteilung" was the term coined for the Kavallarie und Radfahrer Ausbildungsabteilungen transfered from the homeland into the sector of OB West for training and occupation duties. The phenomen is similar to the Panzer units from the Ersatzheer that were transfered to OB West and were renamed Res.Pz.Div. An order dated March 3rd 1943 list 15 such units from WK I to XIII and WK XVII and XVIII. For instance Res.Kav.Abt. 1 from WK I stationed ad Sudauen (Suwalki) was renamed Schnelle Abteilung 621 when moved to Belgium. Res.Radfahrer Abt. 9 from WK III at Fürstenwalde became Schnelle Abteilung 503 when moved to the Netherlands etc.

Cheers
Hans
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Well, Dr. Niehorster it is right there clear as day in the records but somewhere between page to brain to Feldgrau-post a "2" became a "3" :wink: It was Schnelle Abteilung 602 NOT 603. The problem must lie in the posters cranium I think. :oops: Thank you Hans for the additional information; it is always good to hear from you. Your backround makes things much clearer. Thanks and best wishes.
John W. Howard
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Do you have a time frame in mind ? I dont remember running across this unit off the top of my head, but I do have some Heersgroup G mircofilm that might contain some info.

Mad Dog

edit: wait, did you also run across a note about a schnelle abt. 608 at the same time ?
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Schnelle Abteilung 602
Raised 3 March 43 at Parentis (near Mont-de-Marsan, Landes département, Aquitaine Region), southwestern France, from the Reserve-Kavallerie-Abteilung 5. On 16 August 1944 was designated Füsilier-Abteilung [1316] for the new 30. Infanterie-Division. However, during the retreat and afterwards it retained its old designation. In October 1944, the Schnelle Abteilung 608 was incorporated into the 602 at Géradmer/Gérardmer, (Vosges département, Lorraine Region), northeastern France. It moved to the upper Rhine River. Until the end of February 1945 was corps troops of the LXIV. Armeekorps, 19. Armee.

Source:
Tessin, "Verbände und Truppen ...", Vol 11.

(Please note the ending "e" on schnelle)

Cheers
Leo
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Once again I thank you Dr. Niehorster!! I intend to use my edit button to add the missing "e"'s on Schnelle Abteilung. Tom, I will be in touch by PM. Thanks again and best wishes to both of you.
John W. Howard