info about this photo

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

crikey

info about this photo

Post by crikey »

HI There,
Can anyone tell me about this photo? for instance what is the unit? what the uniforms signify ? the bands on the man's uniform on the edge of the pictureI know who the photographer is
but it is not clear where this was taken
even if there is anyone who knows anyone in this pic?
Thankyou !
crikey
Attachments
German SS Officer.jpg
German SS Officer.jpg (190.57 KiB) Viewed 14736 times
John W. Howard

Re: info about this photo

Post by John W. Howard »

The American MP looks like a member of the 2nd Armored Division. That is the best I can do.
John W. Howard
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but some company made a 1/35 figure out of this officer. I can't remember if the MP was part of the vignette or not.

I've seen another photo in that series with another view of that officer about to be searched.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
crikey

Post by crikey »

Thanks Guys! I am sorry though I am not sure if I expressed myself properly.
I am interested if anyone knows which ss division or unit this might be.
The man at the edge I meant the last ss soldier in the frame ( to our left) I noticed some shoulder bands and wondered what they might signify does this looklike apanzer division to you or the wiking for instance? or how can we tell at all?
thanks again
Last edited by crikey on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
crikey

Post by crikey »

"I've seen another photo in that series with another view of that officer about to be searched."
Thanks Tom ...are you able to remember where that photo can be seen?
Fabry

Post by Fabry »

Hi from Sicily!

I can say you that this photo was taken by Robert Capa on June - July 1944 in Normandy.
In this period the 2nd U.S. Armored Division fought against the 17th Panzergrenadier SS at Carentan and against the 17th Panzergrenadier SS and the 2nd Panzer SS in the operation "Cobra".

CIAO!
Fabry
crikey

Post by crikey »

Thank you so very much Fabry!!!!
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

This photo is known to have been taken when the Roncey pocket was mopped up by US troops. Hundreds of men belonging to 2nd and 17th SS Divisions were captured there and this officer surely belonged to one of them.
crikey

Post by crikey »

Thanks Charles! That is a valuable detail! I had some information from The Reich Website that said these were 17 SS Division men.
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

The photo appears in Brian Davis's 'Waffen SS' a Blandford war Photo-files book.Not this exact pic,the GI is standing in the book,same SS man.He is also in the nexp pic in the book,behind another prisoner.Also a 'mixed bag of Paratroopers,men of Luftwaffe Field Divisions,Waffen SS personell,some of them from the 'Iron Fist'division,and Army troops,captured in Normandy.GI identified as from the 2nd Division as mentioned above,'regimental officer' from17 SS-Panzer-Grenadier Division Gotz von Berlichingen',is being searched.Pics numbered 151,152.Hope it helps,that makes 3 pics same guys,same place. ---bil
crikey

Post by crikey »

Thanks Bil!
I found this photo on the cover of a book in a second hand store. I brought it home and discovered that one of the men in this photo was my dad! Which was very weird as I had been on a journey to understand his war years. The only bit I vaguely knew about was that he survived the Eastern front..travelled alone for a week back to German lines...This is where he ended up ..in Normandy.This picture means a lot. Giving me a glimpse of him.

Thankyou all.
Crikey
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

crikey wrote:I brought it home and discovered that one of the men in this photo was my dad!
No kidding! Wow, that's bizarre! What a weird coincidence!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

Well-don't keep us in suspense-which one is he?? How did he make out? I am glad that you could find a picture of him like this,it is like a needle in a haystack! :D ---bil
crikey

Post by crikey »

I know..it was hard for me to know how much to share..and yet to share nothing seemed cheap.So I shared what I felt I could to let you know you are all involved in a cool story.
I am unsure as to whether I should be more explicit as to which he is ( except to say he is not the officer )..I had actually written more but I have a family who may not be thrilled for me to share so much to "strangers"...so I wrote what I could. I hope you understand for now?

I am afraid my dad was one of those who suffered from PTSD and that affected his ability to really thrive after the War despite opportunity and talent.So as well as being a cool story there is quite a bit of sadness attached to it. It was remembering his struggle that lead me to want to know his story.

I sincerely hope that honours all of your contribution a little more ...

with gratitude
Crikey
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

Understood.Glad you could find the info you needed.I am sorry to hear your father didn't recover well from his experiances. ---bil