A long search....

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

moonmulligan

A long search....

Post by moonmulligan »

That is the story of the identification of grave site from my grandfather.

San.Feldwebel (82.IR/31.ID-Division)

In September 1943, it was the end of the battle of kursk, my Grandfather died due to mortar fire. He was lying with some comrades back of the frontline and was relaxing, playing cards. (Accordingly to a letter my grandmother received).

All those details were known, but nobody really had knowledge about his grave site. So about six Years ago, I took all the letters in my possession and started the recovery.

My Grandmother told me always, he was buried “…west. From Orel!”

Pretty clear, could be everywhere!

By sheer luck i contacted an old veteran (Uffz.) who served with my Grandfather in Russia back in 1943, even in the same staff. He was about 92 Years old, and when we met I have shown him some pictures. Without any doubt he identified my Grandfather. He told me some nice stories, including his story escaping from the Russians! (that’s something different).

In the End he gave me some good hints for the grave.

With google earth and maps from some archives I found in the end the village where my grandfather was buried.

It took another 3 Years till the german “Volksbund” got permission to dig on this site. Well, in the end they found not only my grandfather but also about 200 more forgotten soldiers.

Nearly all of the were last year relocated to the big cemetery in Kiew. This Year the Stelen will be set.

So a more than 65 year long search is fulfilled, an I can get some pictures of the last home from my grandfather for my grandmother, which is still alive with almost 93 years!

PS. Excuse my englisch, but I’m not used to write in englisch! I’d rather speak it than write it.
Hans
Associate

Re: A long search....

Post by Hans »

Another reason never to give up.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
John W. Howard

Re: A long search....

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Moon:
What a wonderful story!! The fact that your personal quest for your grandpa's grave led to the discovery of the resting place of several more Landsers must be very gratifying. Your actions have resulted in several more families learning of their relative's fate, and brought some comfort to them. God bless you and your efforts!!
John W. Howard