"Das Reich" II by Otto Weidinger

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Robert Westby
Supporter

"Das Reich" II by Otto Weidinger

Post by Robert Westby »

How well does this volume cover the divisions actions during the opening of the Russian campaign, specifically in the Yelnia area?
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Weidinger's book is pretty detailed and if I remember correctly it even contains a battalion level map for Yelnya with the exact positions of the division.

Paul
Sven

Weidinger II

Post by Sven »

Robert,
Volume II covers the Das Reich campaigns from the start of 1940 until roughly october 1941, giving a very detailed account. The Jelnja fighting is covered in very close detail, with veteran's stories etc.

Indeed, maps showing the division's position as the most eastward German unit are included.

Best regards
Sven
Robert Westby
Supporter

Post by Robert Westby »

Sven, thanks for the information. I just bought the book last week on Ebay and it should arrive within days. I have been translating the 46th Pz. Corps KTB (10 Pz. Div., SS "Reich", and I.R. "Grossdeutschland") for the Yelnia battle and want to get some personal stories about the fighting. So far I have only translated up to July 23 and the intensity of the combat is really picking up. One of "Reich's" daily reports stated the combat is heavier than they had ever seen.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Robert,

The combat at Yelnya was heavy, but according to Weidinger Das Reich's heaviest combat took place in the woods north of Ruza in November, 1941 when they faced the "Mongolians" of the 78th Siberian Rifle Division. The account in Volume III is impressive!

Paul
Robert Westby
Supporter

Post by Robert Westby »

I should have qualified the above statement about the heavy combat at Yelnia with "up to that point in the campaign". From the Corps KTB one of the things that was making it difficult for the Germans was a shortage of ammunition. From the NARA microfilm for 46th Pz Corps the casualties for this period were prety heavy, especially in "Reich". The Corp dates its Yelnia period as July 28 to August 22 during which they suffered 5,330 casualties. The units are 10 Pz. Div., SS "Reich", I.R. "GD" and 268 ID.
Of those "Reich" suffered by far the most, Killed - 21 officers and 532 NCO's and men. Wounded - 77 officers and 1850 NCO's and men. Missing - 1 officer and 26 NCO's and Men.
The total for the Corps was Killed - 44 officers and 1,126 NCO's and Men. Wounded - 175 and 3,936. Missing 4 and 45.
michalst
Supporter

Re: "Das Reich" II by Otto Weidinger

Post by michalst »

Is the battle of Yelnia covered both in volume II and III ? Or just II? If I'm interested in the battle, which volume should I acquire?