Fathers OT Diary August 1944

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
canadien
Supporter

Fathers OT Diary August 1944

Post by canadien »

1. August 1944, Tuesday
Bad weather, Gnesen (Gnezia)

2. August Wednesday
Gnesen

3. August, Thursday

4. August, Friday
Gnesen

5. August, Saturday
Gnesen, Gromm to Lubbenau, to ask.

6. August, Saturday
We are building “Splittergraben”, so that we have something to do. In the evening movie,” Schrammchen”

7. August, Monday
Swimming at the public beach in Gnesen. Gromm is back. We have to go to Holusky

8. August, Tuesday
Swimming, movie “Codeword Machine:” They are getting us out of the movie, because the train is leaving for Liztmanstadt. Gnesen 10 pm, via Freschau.

9. August, Wednesday
Litzmanstadt. 11 am. Our situation (war) looks bad on all fronts

10. August, Thursday
Arrive Razilow at 11 am. Going as courier to Skirniewitze, 6 pm arrival. Job from Birner, to get LKW (LKW- Lastkraftwagen –large truck) with shovels from Wreschen. Stay overnight

11. August, Friday
Leave at 11am for Wreschen. Drive went well; arrive at 8pm in Wreschen. Stay in the “Black Eagle”

12. August, Saturday
On my way to the police and the registry office I meet Dietl. Nobody knows anything about the whereabouts of the LKW.

13. August, Sunday
I am waiting. Nothing new. Swimming and went to a show. “The happy crows”. ( Police troop). Very good

14. August, Monday
I am waiting, same as on the 13th. Adolfi from the Group Tannenburg doesn’t know anything either.

15. August, Tuesday
I have decided not to file a report. Leave Wreschen at 9:30 am

16. August, Wednesday
1:20 am Skirniewitzi, sleep at the railroad station. O.T. team went someplace else again. 10:30 am back to Razilow

17. August, Thursday
Left with train at 7 am for Skirniewitze and from there by car to Nivna to job site. Lehman is leaving for home. Damage from shelling (bombs). Brand and Tilian base leaders. Gromm und Fenslage take Spurk with them.

18. August, Friday
We march a few km too far, but finally find the construction site. Working side by side with other team.

19. August. Saturday
100 men are supposed get 50 m done. They don’t make it.

20. August, Saturday
We are working

21. August, Monday 1944
Tank trench digging (traps for tanks), we manage to get 500 m done.

22. August, Tuesday
Everyday with horse to the job site

23. August, Wednesday
More trench digging for tanks. Start my own section with 175 Poles. (Poland)

24. August, Thursday
I beat everybody with the length of the section I have done.

25. August, Friday
One group, 4 men are done with their section at noon and all the others at 4 pm

26. August, Saturday
Project makes good progress

27. August, Sunday
Tank trench digging. Letter from Gretel and to Gretel.

28. August, Monday
The “Partei” is being pulled out. We take over all workers. In the evening we are invited with the people from the country estate at Brand’s place.

29. August, Tuesday
Saustall (pigsty=a big mess, chaos). No Lunch, no S.D. The military wants (the trenches) 3,50 m deep

30. August, Wednesday
Colonel Besel, job site 129, is taking his time with leveling instead of pushing ahead to finish the section. 800 m short.

31. August, Thursday
Trench digging. Kessel (cauldrons, boilers? loading in Rava, Langenbahn and unit front leader.