Oberst A. Bedenk

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Derek Hicks

Oberst A. Bedenk

Post by Derek Hicks »

Am trying to find out as much as I can of Oberst A. Bedenk (awarded G.Cross 'silver' 2.12.43). I understand he was Stab.Panzer-Armeeoberkommando 2.
Any information would be gratefully received.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Derek!

David Thompson over at AHF posted excerpts from a special report made by the US Congress in 1952 that deals with the Katyn Forest massacre. In this report, a Oberst Albert Bedenk is mentioned as a witness during the Nuremberg trials when the Soviet prosecutor tried (but failed) to officially pin the blame for the Katyn Forest massacre on Hermann Göring and Nazi Germany.

Oberst Albert Bedenk testimony was one of the reasons that Katyn Forest massacre wasn't pinned on the accused Nazi leaders, but was quickly dropped. When the Germans discovered the mass graves in 1941, Oberst Bedenk was commanding the Armee-Nachrichten-Regiment 537 in the Smolenks area in the opening months of "Operation Barbarossa" 1941.
SOVIETS FAIL TO PROVE CASE AT NUREMBERG

All of them arrived in the Smolensk area after September 1, 1941. In the case of Colonel Ahrens, he testified that he did not arrive in the Katyn Forest until early November 1941. He was specifically named in the Russian report as the individual who directed the mass shootings of the Polish prisoners. (See p. 247, pt. III of the published hearings.) Colonel Ahrens was again accused before the International Military Tribunal by the Soviet prosecutor and it is significant to note that he was never indicted by the tribunal nor was his indictment requested by the Soviet prosecutor. (See pt. V of the published hearings.)

This committee heard testimony from Col. Albert Bedenk who was the predecessor to Colonel Ahrens as commanding officer of Signal Regiment 537. He testified that he arrived in the Smolensk area on July 28, 1941, several days after the fighting front had moved many miles east of Smolensk on the way to Moscow. Colonel Bedenk set up the headquarters of Signal Regiment 537 in the Dneiper Castle about the middle of August 1941. He testified: "the total strength of the regiment at that time was 17 of which 5 or 6 were officers, 4 were noncommissioned, and the rest were enlisted men." (See pt. V of the published hearings.)

The Russian report states, "The Polish prisoners of war who were in the three camps west of Smolensk employed on road building up to outbreak of war, remained there after the German invaders reached Smolensk, until September 1941." (See p. 247, pt. III of the published hearings.) Colonel Bedenk categorically denied ever seeing a Pole in the area, as did General Oberhaeuser and Colonel Ahrens. Colonel Bedenk also testified that Colonel Ahrens relieved him as commanding officer of Signal Regiment 537 on November 20, 1941, as did General Oberhaeuser. (See pt. V of the published hearings.) Thus the testimony taken before this committee under oath speaks for itself.

The Soviet prosecutor in his summation of the charges against Goering never mentioned the Katyn massacre. Testimony before this committees reveals that the Soviet prosecutor failed to prove his case against the Germans, therefore the matter was dropped by the tribunal.
Quote taken from David Thompson's post (which has much more of this congressional report from 1952. See link:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ght=bedenk

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Derek Hicks

Oberst Bedenk

Post by Derek Hicks »

Thank you so very much for that very interesting piece of information. I don't suppose you have a picture of our Oberst Bedenk anywhere. Alternatively can you give me any 'leaders' where I might be able to obtain a photo. Once again I am so very grateful for that information you have reported.
Regards
Derek
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Derek!

I just found something really interesting/unique when it comes to Oberst Albert Bedenk. It's an evaluation document of the man, his career and his qualities signed by General Lothar Rendulic. You have to look really close to the screen but apart from his career commands you'll find facts like that he recieved the Spange to his E.K. II on 26.09.1939 and the Spange to his E.K. I on 20.07.1941...

RENDULIC, Dr. Lothar. Generaloberst des Heeres, Oberbefehlshaber der Heeresgruppen Kurland und Süd, Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern (1887-1971). Schriftstück mit eigh. Unterschrift, als General der Infanterie und Oberbefehlshaber der 2. Panzerarmee. Beurteilung über den Oberst Bedenk, Armee-Nachrichtenführer 2. Panzerarmee (Träger des Deutschen Kreuzes in Silber). 2 Seiten
Kat.Nr. 1509 - Katalog A € 225,00
Both pics and quote from http://www.german-militaria.de/details/d36029.html

I haven't been able to locate any photograph of Albert Bedenk, but who knows... :wink:

Regards,

Krollspell
Derek Hicks

Oberst Bedenk

Post by Derek Hicks »

Hi Krollspell. What a fantastic job you have done! I am so very grateful for all this information you have given me. I visited that website you mentioned. Thanks for the scan of the paperwork with awards. It would be nice to have the original paperwork advertised but Euros225 is a lot of money. In the meantime I can print out the version you have given.
You really are champion!! Thanks.
Regards
Derek
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

The pleasuere is all mine, Derek! :D After all, the whole point with Forums like Feldgrau is to learn and to assist and this will hopefully lead to new knowledge and good discussions for everyone.

Have you posted questions about Albert Bedenk over at AHF? As you know, there are many very actice members there with vast (as in enormous!) biographical knowledge combined with that they also have huge photographical resources/collections. I would also like to see a photograph of this Oberst of yours... :wink:

With best regards,

Krollspell
Derek Hicks

Bedenk

Post by Derek Hicks »

Hi Krollspell.
Again, many thanks for your invaluable assistance. With the important Document you sent down (for which I very big thanks) I shall see if my son on his return from holidays can improve the copy for me to then download. Also, Krollspell forgive my ignorance what/where do I find this AHF?
Best Regards
Derek
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Derek!

You'll find the Axis History Forum, the AHF, on http://www.axishistory.com and there you'll have the "Forum" link. I thought that you already were a member there since they have a Derek Hicks in the member list? Anyhow, it's a good Forum with many extremely knowledgeable and helpful members so do join...

About the document on Albert Bedenk... Isn't it amazing what you can find on the Internet?! I'm repeatedly amazed of what a treasure trove that's out there! :D

With best regards,

Krollspell :[]
Derek Hicks

Oberst Bedenk

Post by Derek Hicks »

Hi Krollspell
Your assumption correct I am already a member of that website which I have listed as "Forum.axishistory.com". I have in the last 5 minutes put my request for info on our man and we shall see what happens. At this stage, with your fantastic help, I think I am more than happy with the information you have already given me!! I guess to complete the jigsaw a photo of Bedenk would be nice though. Here's hoping...
Best Regards
Derek