British 6th Armoured Division, 1942-43 camouflage

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Kommandeur

British 6th Armoured Division, 1942-43 camouflage

Post by Kommandeur »

According to Mike Starmer's "Alamein and After 1942-43" British 1st Amy units' vehicles and AFVs were finished in Khaki Green 3, SCC 2 (brown) only or SCC 2 with SCC 1A (dark brown) or SCC 14 (charcol) disruptive paintwork.

B/w photographs in Ken Ford's "Mailed Fist: 6th Armoured Division at War 1940–1945" show Valentines in an overall dark scheme and (some) Shermans with a disruptive scheme in Tunisia, 42/43.

However, Osprey Men-at-Arms volume "The British Army 1939-45 (2)" p15, has a b/w photo captioned:

"Winter 1942/43: Gen. Eisenhower visits 1st Derbyshire Yeomanry, the armoured car regiment of newly arrived 6th Armd Div. ..."

which shows a Humber MkII and a Daimler MkI (?) in what appears to be a light base colour with disruptive scheme (light stone + SCC 1A or SCC 14?).

There are no photos of 1DY in Ford's book. Does anyone know if 1DY carried a different scheme to other units of the division?

Thanks in advance.

DK
Gerry Chester

Post by Gerry Chester »

Probably due to the possibility that 1st Army would be fighting in the desert.
When 25th Army Tank Brigade's Churchill were shipped to North Africa many gallons of sand/dark brown paint accompanied them. As neither we (i.e. North Irish Horse) and 51st RTR were destined to join 8th Army in the desert the drums were left in warehouses. For some never explained reason, as it was then obvious that 1st Army battles would be in Tunisia, 142nd Bn RAC, the third Brigade unit, decided to paint some of their tanks - quickly repainted however.

Photograph reproduced courtesy Imperial War Museum.
Kommandeur

Post by Kommandeur »

Hi Gerry

Thank you for your input.

Do you know how long the disruptive pattern was used for?

When you say "As neither we (i.e. North Irish Horse) ..." do you mean your are a North Irish Horse veteran?

Cheers

DK
Gerry Chester

Post by Gerry Chester »

Hi DK,

According to one my 142nd RAC contacts, the battalion was ordered to repaint in less than a month. Regarding the Derbyshire Yeomanry it was possibly/probably much later - during those heady first days the prospect of doing battle in the desert was not too far-fetched.

Yes, I did serve with the North Irish Horse - hopefully I will not be accused of spamming by providing a link to my site:
http://www.nih.ww2site.com/nih/Cover.html

With best wishes, Gerry
Kommandeur

Post by Kommandeur »

Thanks Gerry

That's a highly commendable project ... I shall spend quite some time there I think. The Tunisian campaign is of particular interest to me ... ignited by Rick Atkinson's "An Army at Dawn" ... apart from Ford's book I'm currently reading James Holland's "Together We Stand" and Peter Gudgin's "With Churchills to War" (48RTR). Your site is a most worthy and worthwhile addition to my reading list.

Thank you.