SS Divisions

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
JR
Supporter

SS Divisions

Post by JR »

If on a scale of 1 to 10. 1st SS Leibstandarte Adolph Hitler being a 1 & the russian SS division being a 10. How would you rate the 4th SS Polizei Div as a combat division?
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

And PS - I would rate both Wiking and Das Reich better than LSSAH, and Totenkopf as an equal.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

I agree with Abwehr on both counts, Polizei overlooked and underrated. Excellent defensive successes. No doubt good divisional commanders and a number of higly brave and capable field or company grade officers (see number of KC and GC awards also). Lack of top line equipment, and offensive ability as a result, make it a slightly lesser unit than "Das Reich" or "Wiking."

Mark
Bittrich
Contributor

My ratings

Post by Bittrich »

Das Reich 1., Wiking 1., Totenkopf and LSSAH 2., Frundsburg and Hohenstaffen 3.,and Polizei 4.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

good to see you all agree ;)
Al Carter

Post by Al Carter »

I agree with you guys. Wiking, Das Reich, Totenkopf, LAH, Frundsburg, Hohenstaufen and I would add the 11th SS Freiwillige Panzer Grenadier Division Nordland to this list.

On this same idea would you agree that the II SS Panzer Korps at Kharkov (Das Reich, LAH & Totenkopf) was the strongest korps of the war. If not strongest overall korps, but at least strongest panzer korps. All three had heavy Tiger battalions and were still strong at Zitadelle. I am sure that knowing that korps was on the OOB would scare the hell out of the opposition.

Al Carter
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. ~Joseph Stalin~
Bittrich
Contributor

I would say

Post by Bittrich »

That was probably one of the strongest German Corps of the entire war. With the I SS Panzer Korps in Normandy while Panzer Lehr was attached. Although the 12th SS was weakened by casualties.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality