An Official Lingua Franca?

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Robert Rojas
Supporter

An Official Lingua Franca?

Post by Robert Rojas »

Greetings to Chairman Pipes, his august lieutenants and the community as a whole. Well folks, old Uncle Bob was wondering if the forum had an officially designated language for the neighborhood's collective ability to communicate. At the present time, I am assuming that the English Language is THE defacto tongue of common discourse. With that said, I have noticed a variety of threads that have been posted in a language which is other than the English Language. What is REALLY annoying about some of these threads is that they lack any companion English Language translation. A clarification on policy would be greatly appreciated. Well, that's my initial two cents worth on this not so mundane topic - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day down in Baghdad-By-The-Bay.
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Robert, first Language at Feldgrau Forum is english/american English.

I would like to see a Thread in french-, and another Thread in german Language, perhaps at the so called "Soldatenheim", but I am very sure, 99% of the Users here will disagree to this...?

Michael
Brian38
Supporter

Post by Brian38 »

I think you should not wonder to find sometimes a German posting because feldgrau is a forum for German "Wehrmacht" and "Waffen-SS" and so my point of view is, that German could not be "wrong" for thes.
But for sure ENGLISH is the "official" language here and - as Norwest says - 99% (or more) of the postings are in English.
Sometimes I also use German or French language: German if I have a discussion with a German speaking person where the details are so complicate, that my English is not good enough :?
and French if somebody is asking for something and his English is worser then my French :wink:
John W. Howard

Language

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Robert:
On occasion we get a post or two in French, Spanish, German, Dutch, etc. The thirst for information is not limited to English speakers, as you know, so we try to be as helpful as possible. For the most part, our foreign friends have exceptional English skills and do their utmost to post in English, a task I do not envy them. If you see a post in a foreign language which looks interesting, ask for a translation; there is no shame in that, and someone will do their best to help out. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Not to forget that some german sentences are nearly "untranslateable" into english language :D

And I am sorry that I sometimes fell back into german , but thats in the "Eifer des Gefechts" :shock:

By the way , what may be a fitting english term for "Im Eifer des Gefechts" ?

Jan-Hendrik
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

"Price of the effort", I would say. In other words, you try like hell to come up with a valid translation of a word or phrase, but finally have to give up because nothing seems quite right. The cost of further effort exceeds the frustration of giving up.

Nichts war?

--Lorenz
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

"In the heat of the battle!" ? :D :[]
Nichts war?
I think you mean "Nicht wahr?" :wink: :beer:
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Dear Lorenz , absolutly right !

:D

Jan-Hendrik
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

English is our main "offical" language - I'm English, I live in the US, most posts here are in English, therefore it makes most sense. That being said we don't frown upon posts in other languages, especially German for obvious reasons! A translation is always handy, but not required as long as the posts aren't excessive in nature.