What Unit Served Here

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

schwerepunkt

What Unit Served Here

Post by schwerepunkt »

I have done a search on Volksbund.de, looking for my Grandfather's brother.
I have obtained these results for the place/time of his death, and was wondering if anyone knows what unit was operating in this area on this date? Any help would be greatly appreciated. also, is there any easier way to find out the unit he served with, other than contacting WaST, which, having very poor german skills and living in australia, is not realisticly going to happen

Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 10.06.1944
Todesort: Tilly zw. La Bijude

If this is THE Tilly, the 12SSAfklAbtl or the 25SSPzGRgt was involved in combat there weren't they?

Thanks
"You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence."
Robert Frost
k-pp
Contributor

"The Bloody Battle for Tilly"

Post by k-pp »

I was recently given this book, written by a Ken Tout (Sutton Publishing Ltd 2002, ISBN 0 7509 3056 X), but haven't read it yet. It has, however, an index of units he mentions in the book. I presume these are relevant to the Tilly arena (of which I know little), but there may of course be other units:

Seventh Army

Panzer Group West

1 SS Panzer Corps
LXXXVI Corps

1st SS Panzer (LAH) Division
2nd SS Panzer (Das Reich) Division
9th SS Panzer (Hohenstaufen) Division
10th SS Panzer Division
12th SS Panzer (Hitler Jugend) Division
17th SS Panzer Division
21st SS Panzer Division
SS Panzer Lehr Division
89th (Hufeisen) Infantry Division
116th GAF [Luftwaffe]
272 Infantry Division

5 SS Panzer Regiment
7 SS Panzer Regiment
20 SS Panzergrenadiers Regiment
93 Grenadier Regiment
101 Heavy Tank Regiment
980, 981, 982 Grenadier Regiments
1055 Infantry Regiment
1056 Infantry Regiment

There is a bibliography, but perhaps other forum members can point you (and me) in an interesting direction regarding further reading.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

If it is THE Tilley (and it probably is) on June 10 the area was held by the Panzer Lehr Division. Unfortunately, I can't find any La Bijude.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

There are three areas called La Bijude, one is on the NW fringes of Caen, the other two are further South.

A search of the Volksbund database will come up with a name and rank (in most cases). What makes you think this man was in the Waffen SS?
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Panzerass
Supporter

Post by Panzerass »

At La Bijude fought the SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 25 of the 12 SS-PzDiv. But I guess not the Aufklärungsabteilung of that Division because it waas put on the left wing around Audrieu near Tilly.