You are a now a Panzer Kommander, pick your Panzer!

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Panzer37
Supporter

Post by Panzer37 »

Thanks Igorn, nice link. I was only familiar with the external shape and not from a reliable source (panzercommander game).

From all German tanks, i would make my mind among the Panther or the Pz IV lang, but not the one with manual traverse of the latest versions. Those were the ones with better balance in all 3 departments of tank design.

Saludos

Hector
For armour enthusiasts, visit http://www.steelbeasts.com and http://www.esimgames.com Modern armour computer simulation at its best.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Post by 2nd SS Panzer Das Reich »

Igorn wrote:Panzer,

You can also explore another link about JSU152. It will give you some idea about this highly effective weapon.

The JSU152 is best labled a "tank killer". The Soviets new how to use the advange of larger numbers well. The T-34 was a massive success because the industry could build large numbers in good time. The outstanding work of Soviets in factories and the battlefield is what made Soviet victory possible!
Wehrmacht: men of courage
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

2nd SS Panzer Das Reich,

Russian solders called JSU-152/122 as "zveroboi" that can be translated as a hunter of wild beasts (Tigers & Panthers).

Best Regards from Russia,
Igor
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

Yeah Igorn. But do not read this...you will not like it.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen10.htm
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865
sigrun
Supporter

Re: You are a now a Panzer Kommander, pick your Panzer!

Post by sigrun »

2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:What kind of panzer would you like to drive.
None. I'd rather be its commander. Just consider me an in control of my own destiny insofar much as that can be arranged control freak.

But if pushed at gunpoint, any one as long as it's at the rear of a large, large formation, out of enemy direct fire range and preferably hull down in a prepared defensive position under netting with natural terrain features camouflaging it from aerial observation and a flight of 109's on defensive loiter overhead.

Oh, and I'd like either a getaway BMW sans sidecar or Me-109 designated for my personal use parked beside it.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Sigrun,
You're not taking any chances then :?: :wink:
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

Kitsune,

This link is for you. http://www.battlefield.ru/library/battles/battle16.html

Best Regards from Russia,
Igor
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Post by 2nd SS Panzer Das Reich »

What have I done? That is easy... Ive sparked a battle of tech (Tiger II vs IS-2)!!!
Wehrmacht: men of courage
Gargantrithor

KV-1

Post by Gargantrithor »

This is a little something from Panzers on the Eastern Front edited by Peter G. Tsouras.

A KV-1 held up a bridgehead near Rossienie, successfully cutting the telephone communications of Kampfgruppe "R" from the main division (to my understanding). There wasn't any acceptable option to circumvent the tank. A 50mm antitank battery edged its way up to within around 600 meters, and opened fire on the tank. After eight direct hits, the tank retaliated and effectively disabled the battery. The Germans recovered the guns under the cover of darkness during nightfall.

In a second attempt, the Germans tried to move up an 88mm AA gun, but as it got into position, the KV-1 again foiled the German's attempts, and kept them away from recovering the gun by the way of the tank's machine guns. After that, 12 volunteers were chosen from the 3rd Company of the 57th Engineer Battalion to try to disable the tank with explosives. After two explosive charges, the tank was still functioning.

The next attempt, the Germans used tanks as a diversion while they pulled up another 88mm AA gun beside the abandoned one. The 88mm got in 7 direct hits. Only two actually pierced the armor. The explosives of the preceding night damaged the caterpillar track and dented the cannon of the KV-1, and the 50mm damage was minimal. The Germans crept up to the tank to examine it, and tried to open the hatch, but the turret began moving again. They threw a grenade inside a hole created from an earlier hit and killed the crew, also blowing open the hatch :wink:. The single KV-1 tank held up the Germans for around 48 hours.
Rich Yankowski
Supporter

Post by Rich Yankowski »

Gargantrithor,I read the same story in a book,but I thought it was a KV-2.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Can I have a Hetzer? Small, fast and enough punch to get the job done. It just works.
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

I personally would go for the tiger because in armor battles high rate of fire would be a good thing and the toughness of it but also the panther would be good as well, the later version I mean, due to its many good characteristics and because the break downs were fixed.

-mike
"Life is not a support system for art, its the other way around."- Stephen King
Schachbrett

i wouldn`t sit in a a tank at all

Post by Schachbrett »

i wouldn`t sit in a a tank at all :D
now let me clarify, those attack planes tend to worry me a little bit ( the likes of il-2 or at stuka or ....).
now if we don´t rule out the allies air superiority then i would take pz IV-late series on the axis side ( reliable, fairly good armored deacent manuverability, small target compared to pz V or pzVI) and on the russian side t34-42 ( excellent manuverability, reliable, still the 76 mm gun but upgraded armor-forget the t-34-85mm becouse of it`s shitty turett armor ).

now, if we forget about the planes, pzVI-b on the german side and is-2 on the russian side but only in the dry conditions and on solid grounds :)

so in the end in what tank wolud i sit in? none 8)

best regards
One who dies like a man, lives forever
Mammut

Post by Mammut »

Jagdpanther for me thanks...
Grunt
Contributor

Post by Grunt »

I would choose the Panther now. Maybe not the strongest one, but the most flexible on the Axis side. For the Allied side - well, maybe a T-34/85 for most of the time, later of course a different one...
Pedites pugnas decernent