SS helmet, fake or...?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

heidemann
Supporter

SS helmet, fake or...?

Post by heidemann »

Is it possible to see if a SS helmet is fake ?
These helmets are very attractive to collectors so I guess they are subject to fakes, but I am wondering how to detect a fake helmet, if you are not a helmet expert.
ratdog
Contributor

Helmet fake?

Post by ratdog »

Do what I usually do, pay top dollar for something and then 6 mos. later find someone who tells you what you really bought!!! Life is a bitch............................Bruce
Santiago
Supporter

Post by Santiago »

Hello,
The best you can do if to learn all that you can about German helmets.

One very heplfully page that i recomended allways is:

http://www.german-helmets.com

There are a lot of information, and you could read articles to how to identify a Fake Helmet.
There are a lot of information of Decals, Liners, Shapes and all.

Good luck,
Regards,

[url=http://www.puntadelanza.net/Index.php]Punta de Lanza sitio de Combat Mission en Español[url]
Brig
Contributor

Post by Brig »

I suppose the simplest ways are at the site mentioned above. Buy yourself a small ruler for measuring decals (proper measurements are in books and that site). Also get a set of good reference books, and a hand-held blacklight is a must. Repro decals have a tendency to illuminate under the light, whereas originals do not. Repros will often smell freshly painted, decals will be placed incorrectly (should be under vent holes), shells might lack markings, etc. The most common repro is the M-42, especially M-42s with Allegemeine decals. Remember, the M-42 SS helmets only had one decal, the SS Rumes on the right side. Make sure that the liner and chinstrap are original, that the shell is original (always a good starting point), and get a guarantee (lifetime, money-back is always good). Or, merely buy from only reputable dealers (The Ruptured Duck is an excellent source, one of only two I'd ever trust when buying an SS cuff title, since the titles are so easily reproed)