17 & 46 Divisions

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Hans
Associate

17 & 46 Divisions

Post by Hans »

Does anyone know of any veterans of these two Infantry Divisions?

Thanks in advance.
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Hans,

If memory serves me correctly, the 46th was raised in the Sudetenland. You migh try to ask one of the various exile Sudeten German organisations for some contacts.

Cheers,

Sid.
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Thanks for the idea Sid. Yes, the Home Station was based in Karlsbad which was in Wehrkreis XIII (Nurnberg). Most of the men were from Bavaria though, although there were some Sudeten Germans. My father was transferred from 17 to 46 in 1942.

Again thanks.
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
bbogisch

Post by bbogisch »

My grandfather was in the 17 ID until the bitter end.
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Hi Bbogisch,

Would love to know more about 17 Division. All I really have are bits and pieces. The Archives authorities tell me that they do not have any records, which I find amazing and I think I left it too late to follow up with veterans. What annoys me most is that my fathers first seargent in 1936, Wilhelm Herold who won the Knights Cross was still alive during my frequent visits to Nurnberg and I did not know about it.

Anyway any info. you may be able to provide me with would be immensly appreciated. My father was in Regt.21.

Until I hear from you.

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
bbogisch

17 ID

Post by bbogisch »

Hi Hans,

I need to find out which Regt. my grandfather was in (from my father) and I will let you know here. My grandfather also mentioned years ago that most of the men in his division were Bavarian. He was captured by Russians in '45 and held for 2 or 3 years after the war was over. He had many interesting stories, and a couple photo albums, which he was documenting in the last couple years of his life. I'll get back to you.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I'm working on a unit history for the 17th that you may find useful. It will be posted to the site within about a week. The 17th has a very colorful and interesting history, much of it relatively unknown in the english speaking world. For example, it was planned to use the 17th as the anchor of the vital right flank of the entire German invasion beachhead during Operation Sealion, the invasion of England. The division trained extensively for this operation until it was finally called off late fall 1940. The 17th had earned the nick-name Sturmbock (battering ram) during the Polish and French campaigns of 1939 and 1940 and was deemed a suitable unit to hold the open right flank during the most daring sea invasion ever planned.

More soon!
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

bbogish/Jason

Very grateful. Look forward to anything at all. It's all the little pieces that matter.

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

Hi all,

I've got the regimental history of the 55th Infantry Regiment (17th Infantry division. If you're looking for anything specific around a certain time period or something like that, just let me know..

regards

eric
past

Post by past »

I'm looking for this units history too. I have some information about 17 I.Div history in 1945. I'm living near Breslau , were rest forces from 17 div. -- "Sachsenheimer force" made raid for chemical factory in Dyhernfurt.