Captured Allied planes in German hands

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Kocjo
Enthusiast

Captured Allied planes in German hands

Post by Kocjo »

Are there some numbers how many Allied (specially from West) planes were captured, which could be used by Germans (still able to fly)?

Thanks in advance,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Rommel8
Supporter

Post by Rommel8 »

The Germans after the Battle of France used a number of captured Dewoitine 520's. I have a picture of it somewhere and ill post it...

I also think that the Germans may have used captured Cutiss Hawk 75A2's that the French were using on lend lease.

Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Thanks a lot, Rommel8.

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
ctschatz

Post by ctschatz »

The germans captured some B-17s were still flyable. There are accounts of them being sent up to join formations of allied bombers and radioing there Alt. and speed to flack gunners. It got so bad that the 8th Air Force had a standing order not to let lone planes join with your group. There have been a couple of books written about this. I will try to find the titles.
Christian
"In war I would deal with the Devil and his grandmother. "
Josehph Stalin
xavier
Contributor

x

Post by xavier »

hello Kojco..

Try getitng a copy of Squadron Signal "strangers in a strange land" deals exclusively with captured planes (flyable) in german service..

several fighters, (mustangs, at least a thunderbolt) a often used B-24 (sunshine) and several B-17 witha special unit shadowing bomber formations...

best regards
Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Thanks a lot, Xavier.

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Pat D
Supporter

B17

Post by Pat D »

Saw a photo somewhere of a B-17. complete with German markings and a swastika on the tail. they said it was used for troop "transport and reconisance"
Schultz
Contributor

Post by Schultz »

Kocjo look up [/url]http://www.luftwaffe-experten.co.uk/beutefluzeuge.html they have a good list there of maney aircraft.

Schultz
Paul Timms
Supporter

Kg200

Post by Paul Timms »

The special operations unit kg 200 was equipped with an amazing array of bombers/transports/seaplanes, it was also used in the development of the Mistel piggy-back bombers.
Its main role was transport and for this it included B17, B24, DC3 as well as various French and Italian a/c.

PW Stahl's book KG 200 makes no mention of single engine allied fighters or bombers on infitration missions. The allied a/c were used for agent transportation.
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Thanks guys for all (to me) new info!

Cheers,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

I heard of a few Spitfires that were captured, and used to infiltrate the British during BoB. One of the pilots is said to have landed in a British airfield for more fuel and ammunition, after which he took off and raided the base!

The squadron came to a sad(?) end, as the planes were shot down by the Germans themselve...

Christian
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:I heard of a few Spitfires that were captured, and used to infiltrate the British during BoB. One of the pilots is said to have landed in a British airfield for more fuel and ammunition, after which he took off and raided the base!

The squadron came to a sad(?) end, as the planes were shot down by the Germans themselve...

Christian
Do you know anything more or do you know, where to find more?

Thanks for this and that :wink: ,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

Kocjo wrote:
Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:I heard of a few Spitfires that were captured, and used to infiltrate the British during BoB. One of the pilots is said to have landed in a British airfield for more fuel and ammunition, after which he took off and raided the base!

Christian
Do you know anything more or do you know, where to find more?

Thanks for this and that :wink: ,
Kocjo
I've already tried to find out where I read this, but without any result...

Christian
Simon H
Associate

Allied A/C in German hands

Post by Simon H »

The Unit history of the 10th Mountain Div in Italy in WW2 cites an instance of a German piloted Mustang attacking a convoy during the advance to the Po river. (unconfirmed - could just be a friendly fire incident).
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Arne
Contributor

Use of foreign aircraft

Post by Arne »

There is a very good german book on this topic: "Testpilot auf Beuteflugzeugen" by Hans-Werner Lerche who was testing captured aircraft at Rechlin.

His list of flewn aircraft alone contained:

B-24 Liberator
B-17 Fortress
Lancaster
Savoia Marchetti 95
Cant 1007 and 1018
Caproni Ca 133 and Ca 148
SM 79
Bristol Blenheim
DeHavilland Dragonfly
Lockeed Lodestar
Lockeed Hudson
B-26 Marauder
SM 82
Wellington
NA 57
P-51 Mustang
Bell Aircobra
Breda Ba 25
Fiat CR 42
G 55
Fokker CVE
Hawker Typhoon, Tempest
Yak 3
La5
Macchi 205
Ro 41
Morane 230
Rep. Thunderbolt
Spitfire III.

He did the evaluations for the typ-data-sheet. He also had to find out what the "switches" are for (a Liberator is hell of a difference to a german bomber in terms of cockpit layout)...

Many fighters where used for combat tests with front units to allow the pilots of the Luftwaffe to tryout what the enemy fighters can do and can not. The unit travelling around the fighter bases was called "Circus Rossarius". They demolished a lot of fighters during this "shows".

Generaly everything flying, from Checz Avia's, Polish PZL and Russian Po2 to Liberators and Mustangs was used in on or the other way. I.e. most of the D.520 (as you can see on the markings on the picture above) where donated to bulgaria. Some ended up as advanced fighter trainers in Germany.

A large number of aircraft where also captured from the Italians in 1943. The most advanced typs where used in the homeland defence, but also obsolete models replaced german training aircraft, that then sometimes ended up in NSG's (Nachtschlachtgruppen).

Can anyone tell me what happend to the Yoguslavian airforce Ikari fighters? Did they go to the Croatian airforce?