LATVIAN LEGION

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
aklava

LATVIAN LEGION

Post by aklava »

:D I'm new to this forum but have generally read WWII history with interest. My father died 10 years ago before I nutured this interest and I know that he was a Waffen-SS Sgt in the Latvian Legion.
He had fought on the North Eastern front and also at the battle of Vielikiye Luki, during which, I gather, the Germans suffered heavy losses. I think this occured in 1944 but can' be sure. I do know that he developed severe frostbite.
Unfortunately, his memories are now gone but I would like to discover more of these through any records possible. Where should I start to look.

Many thanks in advance.
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

Well the only information that I've found on the Latvian Legion is in Osprey Publishings Men-at-Arms series #363: Germany's Eastern Front Allies (2) Baltic Forces. This includes their brief independence before the Soviet occupation, how they became allies and fought the Red Army, and finally, the Forrest Brothers guerrilla movement. Hope you find this useful.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I have an extensive article on the Latvian Legion that I will be uploading to the site with the next update along with articles on Romanian volunteers, a joint Italian-German offensive in 1944, and much more!

There are also many books available on the Latvian Legion, I will post the details if you would find them useful.