Wn 62 by Hein Severloh

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

karltrowitz
Supporter

Wn 62 by Hein Severloh

Post by karltrowitz »

For those of you that have read this book, I took a trip to Wn 62 to link locations to the book. This is so easily done when there so here are some pics I took.

This is the view of Omaha Beach from Hein Severloh's MG 42 position. To the left is the observation post used by the artillery observers for the 352 Inf Div:

This OP, in the left foreground, was manned by Oberleutnant Bernhard Frerking, Leutnant Grass and Wachtmeister Ewald Fak:

Inside the OP:

The entrance to the OP, where Severloh last saw Frerking before trying to retreat to Colleville. You can almost hear Frerking's last words...."You go next Hein.....take care..." He was killed by a shot to the head.

karltrowitz
Supporter

Re: Wn 62 by Hein Severloh

Post by karltrowitz »

The radio bunker manned by Gefreiter Beermann, Pvt Kurt Werneke, Pvt Herbert Schulz and 2 other men:

Looking down a trench towards the Machine Gun position manned by Gefreiter Franz Gockel. Note the ammuniton bunker in the foreground:

In front of Gockel's position was a field emplacement for a 5cm KwK anti tank gun manned by Obergefreiter Siegfried Kuska:

Oberleutnant Frerking's grave at the Soldatenfriedhof at La Cambe:
wittmann007

Re: Wn 62 by Hein Severloh

Post by wittmann007 »

Thanks for sharing,great pics. i read the book on the 69th anniversary of D-DAY. :up:
Nice to put the images, with what was written in the book. :D