Finnish General K. L. Oesch's Book

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

MikeF

Finnish General K. L. Oesch's Book

Post by MikeF »

Hello,
I am researching the life and career of Lieutenant-General Karl Lennart Oesch. He was Swiss who became a Finn and was known by some as Finland's savior and greatest battlefield commander during World War II. He commanded the Finnish forces on the Karelian Isthmus during the terrible battles that was the result of the Red Army's summer offensive against Finland in the beginning of June 1944. General Oesch ultimately wrote a book about his experiences and it was translated into German in 1964. The Finnish title of the book is "Suomen kohtalon ratkaisu Kannaksella kesalla 1944" and the German translated title of the same book is "Finnlands Entscheidungskampf 1944 und seine politischen, writshaftlichen und militarischen Folgen".

My question is this: does anyone have a copy of either of these books and if so would you be willing to share the contents with me either via this forum or private discussion? I consider it imperative to my research that I am able to gather data that was actually written by the actual person that I am researching. I am extremely lucky that an individual from the Axis History Forum is helping me in a similar manner by sharing information from the biography of Oesch written in Finnish.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Mike
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Re: Finnish General K. L. Oesch's Book

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

Mike, I can borrow a copy of the Finnish edition from a local library and check some details for you if you wish. Drop me a line via PM if you wish. As for Oesch biographies, I've been told that there is a new one in the making. The currently available one is by Helge Seppälä, a person somewhat peculiar as he was very pro-Soviet in the 1970s and 1980s (an active Finnish Army officer at that time!), yet seems to have changed colours with his Oesch bio...