Looking for following Inf div Stug III allocations

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

marcb

Looking for following Inf div Stug III allocations

Post by marcb »

I'm looking for the Stug III allocation between 1943 and 1945 for the following Infanterie Divisionen (including dates if known):

- 21 I.D.
- 61 I.D.
- 78 I.D.
- 125 I.D.
- 218 I.D.
- 335 I.D.

If this is a lot of work the allocation for just 1944 would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.
best regards,

Marc
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Block »

Actually only a few of the divisions you listed fielded StuG III at all. The others had the StuG IV or Jagdpz. 38:

21. I.D.: In early July 1943 one company of the divisional Pz.Jg.Abt. 21 arrived in Mielau (East Prussia) for conversion and training on assault guns. 14 StuG III were shipped from an ordnance depot on 17.9.1943. The unit stayed in Mielau for another six weeks and finally left on 2.11.1943 to join its division.
Records of H.Gr. Nord show that 5 StuG III came as replacements shortly before 10.2.1944. These must have come either from another unit or were originally intended for a Stu.Gesch.Brig. since they do not show up in the delivery records of the Gen.Insp.d.Pz.Tr.
In October 1944 the company was sent to Milowitz for a complete refit and conversion to 14 Jagdpz. 38. It never returned to its parent division but was ordered to join Pz.Jagd-Abt.(gp.) 1 of the forming Pz.Jagd-Brig. 104 instead.

61. Inf.Div.: In late April 1944 one company of the divisional Pz.Jg.Abt. 161 arrived in Mielau for conversion and training on assault guns. 10 StuG IV were shipped from an ordnance depot on 10.6.1944 and the unit left Mielau at the end of the month to join its division. No replacement StuG were shipped after that. By 15.3.1945 only one StuG IV was still left.

78. Sturm-Div.: Already in late December 1942 Stu.Gesch.Abt. 189 became part of this division. Don't know when and how many StuG III exactly were delivered since Stu.Gesch.Abt. 189 fell under the command of the Gen.d.Art. and his delivery records (if he kept any) apparently have not survived the war. From other records I know that on 31.3.1943 the unit had 22 StuG III on hand and 11 more StuG III were delivered between 30.4. and 10.5.1943.
Stu.Gesch.Abt. 189 was a standard 3 battery assault gun battalion which was authorised to have 31 Sturmgeschütze. It was destroyed with its division in the summer 1944 under H.Gr. Mitte, rebuild and then renamed to Pz.Jg.Abt. 70 for the 4. Kav.Brig.

78. Volks-Gren./Volks-Sturm-Div. (renamed from 543. Sperr-Div. (29. Welle)):
The assault gun company for the 543. Sperr-Div. had been formed in mid July 1944 in Mielau. It stayed there until early September when it was transferred to Milowitz for training on the Jagdpz. 38. However, no Jagdpanzer were delivered until mid January 1945 (apparently intended for another unit, possibly 257. VGD, in the first place) and the unit finally left Milowitz on 26.1.1945 to join the 78. V.Sturm-Div.
No replacement Jagdpanzers were shipped after that.

125. Inf.Div.: This division never was authorized to have a Stu.Gesch. or Jagdpz.Kp. in its Pz.Jg.Abt. 125 and thus never received any deliveries.

218. Inf.Div.: In mid September 1944 one company of the divisional Pz.Jg.Abt. 218 arrived in Mielau for conversion and training on assault guns. 10 StuG III were shipped from an ordnance depot on 14.12.1944 and the unit left Mielau again on 20.12.1944 to join its division. No replacement StuG were shipped after that. By 15.4.1945 the unit still had 8 StuG III left.

335. Inf.Div.: In early June 1944 one company of the divisional Pz.Jg.Abt. 335 arrived in Mielau for conversion and training on assault guns. Here it received 14 Jagdpz. 38 in mid August and left Mielau again at the end of the month to join its division. But since the 335. Inf.Div. had just been wiped out during the Soviet offensive against H.Gr. Süd-Ukraine the company became a GHQ unit and served under various divisions in the H.Gr. Süd area until the end of the war.
No replacement Jagdpz. 38 were shipped after that. The last report I have is from 15.3.1945 when the unit still had 10 Jagdpz. 38 left.

Martin Block
Last edited by Martin Block on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcb

Post by marcb »

Incredible.

Thanks a lot Martin.
I have the Spielberger book on Leichte Jagdpanzer and your Stug IV allocation list from Missing Links. As far as Stug III, I only have the Spielberger book on the Stug from the "old" series, which doesn't give specific info (other than monthly totals).
best regards,

Marc
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Block »

And a big 'Thank you' for that from me to Herr Spielberger! What would I do if everyone knew everything? Years of research spent in vain and no more playing 'expert' on this and other forums :shock: What a boring life that would be :wink: :wink: :wink:

Martin
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

no more playing 'expert' on this and other forums
Martin, you're not playing--you are the "real deal". :D :[] :D

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

Is there a definitive list of StuG-III deliveries to Infantry/jager and gebirgsjager divs?

Spielberger has the pz, PzGren and SS

Ive seen lists for pretty much all the panzerjagers: hetzers, marders, StuG-IV but not the StuG-III

Does such a thing exist?

Cheers

Bob
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Re:

Post by Kelvin »

Martin Block wrote:Actually only a few of the divisions you listed fielded StuG III at all. The others had the StuG IV or Jagdpz. 38:

21. I.D.: In early July 1943 one company of the divisional Pz.Jg.Abt. 21 arrived in Mielau (East Prussia) for conversion and training on assault guns. 14 StuG III were shipped from an ordnance depot on 17.9.1943. The unit stayed in Mielau for another six weeks and finally left on 2.11.1943 to join its division.
Records of H.Gr. Nord show that 5 StuG III came as replacements shortly before 10.2.1944. These must have come either from another unit or were originally intended for a Stu.Gesch.Brig. since they do not show up in the delivery records of the Gen.Insp.d.Pz.Tr.
In October 1944 the company was sent to Milowitz for a complete refit and conversion to 14 Jagdpz. 38. It never returned to its parent division but was ordered to join Pz.Jagd-Abt.(gp.) 1 of the forming Pz.Jagd-Brig. 104 instead.

Martin Block
Hi, Martin,
After Oct 1944, when Pz.Jg.Abt. 21 was sent to Milowitz for receiving new Hetzer, did 21.infanterie division has any Pz.Jg.Abt unit attached from other division or units for combat ?