K98 STILL in service, 60 years later

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

FK

K98 STILL in service, 60 years later

Post by FK »

I recently returned from a trip to Israel, and I met a man who was in a civilian Guard Sniper Unit of some sort. Much to my interest, I found the man used as his weapon a Mauser 98K, albeit with a modern scope. He said it was quite common in civilian sniper units. Anybody know any other instances where German weapons are still being used?
xavier
Contributor

K98K around the world

Post by xavier »

K98k's are much in use around the world, some countries in afrika still have them in stores, the "guardia nacional" in nicargua and colombia still issues them to civilian defense (anti-guerrila) units.

Id rather have a good K98k than a AK47 in a desert island for companion!!

regards
Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Craig
Banned

Desert Island companion

Post by Craig »

I reckon I'd prefer a woman with big <removed> on a desert island, but the K98 is a superb peice of work.
I would doubt if there is still much german WW2 stuff in use, mainly due to the unavailability of parts and the fact that similar weapons are a lot easier to get.
Having said that, the occasional one will still pop up.
Any German WW2 stuff still in use will almost exclusively be in the hands of Militia or rebel type forces.
HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE FASTEST RUNNER!
Stefan
Banned

Post by Stefan »

What about the Wachbataillon?
xavier
Contributor

hello stefan!!!

Post by xavier »

agreed!
I forgot absolutely about the most public example of K98k use today.... sadly I stoped receiving DW-Tv on my dish a few months ago and I hardly have a chance to look at german (from the german point of view, of course!!) current events now.

regards

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero