Was ist los hier?

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Was ist los hier?

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

A relatively simply snippet, but for some reason I can't quite crack it.

Rasendes Feuer schlägt ihnen entgegen. Für Augenblicke an den Sturmgeschützen vorbeigehend werfen sie ihre Handgranaten und geballten Ladungen dem Gegner in die Feldstellungen.

Possibly

Furious fire comes towards them. Passing the Sturmgeschütze in a flash, they throw their hand-grenades and shaped charges into the enemy's field positions.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
pak
Supporter

Re: Was ist los hier?

Post by pak »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:A relatively simply snippet, but for some reason I can't quite crack it.

Rasendes Feuer schlägt ihnen entgegen. Für Augenblicke an den Sturmgeschützen vorbeigehend werfen sie ihre Handgranaten und geballten Ladungen dem Gegner in die Feldstellungen.
I'll admit it is a little bit nitpicking, but I'd say:
Furious fire comes towards them. In the moment they pass the “Sturmgeschützen”, they throw their hand-grenades and “geballten Ladungen” at the enemy in the field positions.

If I should translate "geballten Ladungen", I would translate it with "concentrated charges" in stead of "shaped charge".
/pak
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

I think the second sentence should be:
Passing the assault guns for a few moments (i.e. they advance in front of the assault guns to throw the hand grenades and withdraw afterwards) they throw their handgrenades and satchel charges (? - a "geballte Ladung" mostly consisted of a few hand grenade war heads taped together)
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Gentlemen, many thanks. I think together you've cracked it. :up:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man