Help with Strength Report Titles

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Stephan H.
Contributor

Help with Strength Report Titles

Post by Stephan H. »

I would appreciate any assistance in determining the exact translations for the following strength report titles:

Iststärkmeldung (Strength Report?)
Fehlstellenmeldung (Shortage Report?)
Aufschlüsselung der sonstigen Truppen Iststärke (??)
Aufschlüsselung der sonstigen Truppen Fehlstellen (??)
Tagesstärken, Gefechtsstärken, Kampfstärken (??)

Thanks in advance!

Stephan
Piet Duits
Associate

Re: Help with Strength Report Titles

Post by Piet Duits »

Stephan,

Personally, I am more interested in knowing where you found the IST- and FEHLstellen reports :-)

The Aufschlüsseling der sonstigen Truppen (column E) splits up the totals from this column into 10 different subcolumns, ranging from Signal Troops (1) to Mapping Units (6) and Penal Units (10)
With this kind of report, you are able to determine the real strength of the unit the reports is from, and the authorized strength. However, to do so, you are still relying on the troop list. If there's no troop list, it is still very difficult to split up the numbers. And also very important: check the numbers. I haven't found a IST and FEHLstellenmeldung without mistakes.
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Piet – Thanks for the background information. That is very helpful background information.

As to where I “found” them, another Forum member provided them to me as I am compiling a second volume for The Oder Front 1945 that will contain these H.Gr.Weichsel strength reports and available divisional Gliederung.

You can find these and other "IST- and FEHLstellen reports" by working your way through the T-78 Rolls at the USNA. Lots of good information is tucked away in this series of microfilm rolls. I'm sure the BA-MA also has similar information.
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Stephan,

Okay, so you mean T78 R417 and 418.
I hoped you found some of those reports on Korps or Armee-level too (T314/T313/T312).
Those 1945 reports are almost impossible to split up, as you a) don't know exact which units were part of the HGr, b) even if you knew it, it's very hard to calculate the strength per KStN as there are some additional strength reducements valid (10% Kürzung to name one).
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Stephan H. wrote:I would appreciate any assistance in determining the exact translations for the following strength report titles:
Iststärkmeldung (Strength Report?)
Fehlstellenmeldung (Shortage Report?)
Aufschlüsselung der sonstigen Truppen Iststärke (??)
Aufschlüsselung der sonstigen Truppen Fehlstellen (??)
Tagesstärken, Gefechtsstärken, Kampfstärken (??)
Fehlstellenmeldung = Understrength Report
Aufschlüsselung der sonstigen Truppen ... = breakdown of other troop ...

Wehrmacht Strength Return Definitions
(Effective from April 1944 to the End of War)

Verflegungsstärke (Ration Strength)
Comprises all unit personnel, all supplementary personnel, including civilian volunteers (Hiwi), PoWs being fed that day and attached units and individuals.

Sollstärke (TO&E strength according to current KStNs)
The personnel strength allowance specified in the personnel and equipment TO&Es according to the unit’s Kriegsgliederung.

Iststärke (Actual Strength)
Comprises all personnel on unit establishment, including personnel on leave, detached, short-term casualties (meaning those expected to be available for active service within 8 weeks) and personnel in excess of establishment (if any. Therefore, Iststärke only differs from Sollstärke by total personnel in excess of, or below the unit’s TO&E strength.

Tagesstärke (Day’s or Daily Strength)
The total number of personnel present and available for duty in the unit concerned including auxiliaries (Hiwi) and attached personnel. Tagesstärke, therefore, equals Iststärke less personnel on leave, detached personnel and short-term casualties plus attached personnel.

Gefechtsstärke (Battle Strength)
Comprises all personnel who go into action as fighters or as direct aids to the fighters, including all units of the fighting troops (infantry, replacement battalion, cavalry, artillery, smoke, armored, anti-tank, engineer, signal and the Führungsgruppe of divisional headquarters), but excludes all Trosse (baggage, rations and battle trains, as well as artillery Nachschubstaffeln), repair services and any personnel from fighting elements temporarily with them. Therefore, Gefechtsstärke excludes Division HQ personnel (except for the Führungsgruppe), map section, Feldgendarmerie-Trupp, transports, repair services, supply troops and miscellaneous fighting personnel temporarily with them.

Kampfstärke (Fighting Strength)
Includes all soldiers in action in an infantry role in the forward areas, also personnel of other arms of the service supporting them in the same areas even if only temporarily. Thus, available tactical reserves located within the area of a particular formation are to be included in its Kampfstärke. In effect, all troops in action forward of regimental headquarters comprise the unit’s Kampfstärke.

Grabenstärke (Trench Strength)
Comprises all personnel in the line forward of battalion headquarters, including company headquarters personnel such as clerks, but excluding stretcher bearers.

Source:
British War Office M.I. 14g/Apprec/2/45
(all of which was taken from captured German documents.)

Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Piet - you nailed the files T78 R417 and 418--that's where they came from. I have not started to compare them to each other or to the other reports I have from the war diary. I do have what I beleive is a complete list of units that were part of the H.gr. to include reported strengths for many but not all. However, there are plenty of unknowns as you point out. This IST is dated 1 Apr 45 so does it include the strength of units assigned to the H.Gr. but were part of OKH or OKW Reserve? I'll have to work this out at some point.

Leo - many thanks :up: :up: This is more than I was looking for :D

The actual IST form is dated 25 April 44 so your definitions are spot on.

Something tells me that these definitions may make it into the next edition of Kriegssprache. . . .
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Stephan,

Thus far I found such documents for an Armee, several Armeekorps, a Panzerkorps etc. besides the items on R417 and 418.
Regarding the other questions, will get back on that later today.
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

The below image is from the IST. Can someone help me translate the script? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
6386704.jpg
6386704.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

I should have added that I know the top two lines are "Ob Kdo. H.gr. Weichsel und. . ." I'm just not sure of everything after that. Thanks!
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Oberkommando Heeresgruppe Weichsel mit/und unmittelbar Unterstellten Truppen.
Army Group VIstula with directly assigned troops
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Viel Dank!