Le Morvan - German Occupation

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

davidn

Le Morvan - German Occupation

Post by davidn »

I hope that I have begun this new thread in the correct area. If not please feel free to move it.

I am looking for some initial information to help with research into the German occupation during WWII of the Morvan region of burgundy, about 16 kms from the main town of Autun. Any pointers to reference documents would be particularly useful.

http://www.questia.com/library/encyclopedia/morvan.jsp

I bought a house in a small village in the region a few years ago and quickly became aware that the area had been heavily occupied during the war, the fields and roadsides are littered with monuments to children, mothers fathers etc killed by the SS.
The house I bought is a large house with plenty of bedrooms and was seized by the Germans for the use of 6 officers. One of the bedrooms has the rank and name written on the door San. Uffz. Dobrin I am unsure about its meaning, I think it is a junior medical officer?? Could somebody please tell me the correct rank? I have become friendly with a guy from the village in his nineties, his family owned the house during the occupation, it has taken time to get him to talk about the period and he has begun little by little to discuss his experiences and those of his family and friends. He has offered to give me a couple of suitcases of books, maps and documents his father found when they regained occupancy of the house after the war. I am looking forward to seeing them when I return in a couple of weeks.
I have not as yet found out which division was stationed in the area I have only just begun the research. If anybody is interested I will post findings of my research including the contents of the suitcases.
I have been fascinated by the history of WWII and the discovery of this site is a real joy. Whilst I understand the reluctance of the villagers to discuss their lives and plight during this period I am hoping to collate a fascinating and informative insight to their daily existence with a focus on family life, food, work and reaction to the occupation. The guy I mentioned above told me his elder sister and mother cleaned and cooked for the officers they were housed in a small house, that I also bought as part of the main house. They did this for over 18 months.
Thanks in advance for any help.

David
Landwacht

Re: Le Morvan - German Occupation

Post by Landwacht »

Very interesting findings. Nice area to have an house as well. Lucky you. :wink:
I think your assumed rank on than Sanitäter is correct.

Maybe this helps you clearify the rank
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanit%C3%A ... undeswehr)
davidn

Re: Le Morvan - German Occupation

Post by davidn »

Thanks for your help