What do you read at the moment?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: What do you read at the moment?

Post by phylo_roadking »

Hitler's Thirty Days to Power: January 1933 by Henry Ashby Turner Jr.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Mike36

Post by Mike36 »

Im reading ARMAGEDDON by Max Hastings at this time.Very good end of the war book.Is interesting the American and British soldiers as well as the soviets have great respect for the training and talent of the German armed forces.It is obvious from the book that the Germans were in general man for man the better soldiers of the war.

Just got thru with the soviet taking of East Prussia.Good grief that was certainly an offensive with a vengence.Appears it was either fight or die for the Wermacht.And the fate of all those civilians is beyond our tragic imagination to even comprehend today.

Mike
John Hilly
Supporter

Post by John Hilly »

phylo_roadking wrote:The Battle of Britain, John Ray.
I´m reading "The Battle of Britain" also, but by Len Daughton. Its old but exellently written and documentated.
Greets
Johnny B Goode :[]
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

John - also a bit "popularist" nowadays. I won't say "low-brow" - nothing written by Deighton could be called low-brow, its too good - more..."easy-access" to the whole topic. Look for a copy of John Ray's The Battle of Britain in the Cassell Military Papebacks series, you'll pick it up in a decent secondhandbookshop. VERY readable, a better pre-battle analysis, and covers whole aspects that Deighton browses over.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
seewolf

Post by seewolf »

Siegfried Knappe & Ted Brusaw, "Soldat"
nord

Post by nord »

i have just read
stormtrooper on the eastenfront
campaign in russia - leon degrelle
german cross in gold -nordland vol3
budapest - stalingrad of the ss
and to read
32nd ss freiwilligen-grenader division

nord
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

JG Ballard's Cocaine Nights - no WWII connection at all, but you have to vary the diet. And you can seldom go wrong with Ballard I've found.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Whoops, unless you take into account he's author of Empire of the Sun I guess!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The Forever War.....by Dexter Filkins.......about the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Lots of graffic details.
Annelie

Post by John Hilly »

Hella!
I've had an Air-War period:
Zorner, Paul: Nächte im Bomberstorm - Erinnerungen 1920-1950 (in Finnish). Very good, I recommend. :up:
Clostermann, Pierre: Une Sacrée Guerre! (I.F.) So and so... :roll:
Wellum, Geoffrey: First Light (i.F.) About the Battle of Britain and France. Teaches You how to fly. 8)
Rall, Günther: Mein Flugbuch - Erinnerungen 1938 - 2004. Very interesting, I'm glad that it is also translated in Finnish. :up:

Right now I'm back in studying the siege of Leningrad. I'll be back about this subject.

Greets Juha :[]
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

Hellmuth Spaeter's Die Geschichte der Panzerkorps Großdeutschland Band II ;)
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

Claudia Koonz, The Nazi Conscience. The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2003.

From the dustjacket:
"The Nazi conscience is not an oxymoron. In fact, the perpetrators of genocide had a powerful sense of right and wrong, based on civic values that exalted the moral righteousness of the ethnic community and denounced outsiders.
Claudia Koonz's latest work reveals how racial popularizers developed the infrastructure and rationale for genocide during the so-called normal years before World War II. Her careful reading of the voluminous Nazi writings on race traces the transformation of longtime Nazis' vulgar antisemitism into a racial ideology that seemed credible to the vast majority of ordinary Germans who never joined the Nazi Party. Challenging conventional assumptions about Hitler, Koonz locates the source of his charisma not in his summons to hate but in his appeal to the collective virtue of his people, the Volk.
From 1933 to 1939, Nazi public culture was saturated with a blend of racial fear and ethnic pride that Koonz calls ethnic fundamentalism. Ordinary Germans were prepared for wartime atrocities by racial concepts widely disseminated in media not perceived as political: academic research, documentary films, mass-market magazines, racial hygiene and art exhibits, slide lectures, textbooks, and humor. By showing how Germans learned to countenance the everyday persecution of fellow citizens labeled as alien, Koonz makes a major contribution to our understanding of the Holocaust.
The Nazi Conscience chronicles the chilling saga of a modern state so powerful that it extinguished neighborliness, respect, and, ultimately, compassion for all those banished from the ethnic majority."
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Challenging conventional assumptions about Hitler, Koonz locates the source of his charisma not in his summons to hate but in his appeal to the collective virtue of his people, the Volk.
From 1933 to 1939, Nazi public culture was saturated with a blend of racial fear and ethnic pride that Koonz calls ethnic fundamentalism.
She thought we didn't know??? :D :D :D On a more serious note, Mike, what's it like? A worthwhile read?
Aragorn2008

Post by Aragorn2008 »

I'm reading Mittlere Ostfront Juni '44 by Gerd Niepold, about the collapse of Army Group Centre in the summer of 1944. By far the best and most detailed account on this series of battles. Hardly suprising since Niepold was an officier in the 12. Panzer-division and knows what he is talking about. Another book I'm enjoying at the moment is Duel in the Mist, the first part about the Leibstandarte during the Ardennes offensive. I'm looking forward to the next part in this series.

Finally I'm reading Tony Le Tissiers book ' Zhukov at the Oder', a good read, like most of his books.
Zoll

Post by Zoll »

Recently finished Gerd Niepold's excellent Battle For White Russia: The Destruction of Army Group Centre June 1944.

Zetterling & Frankson's very fine The Korsun Pocket.

Reread Niehorster's The Royal Hungarian Army, 1920-1945 again.