Saving Private Ryan: Waffen-SS Uniform Help

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

John W. Howard

T-34

Post by John W. Howard »

Hey Spandau:
I was very happy they at least got the correct era by using a T-34; better a T-34 than an M-48 or M-60!!
John W. Howard
Chris von D
Supporter

Post by Chris von D »

max wiedl 3./SS Pz.Pi.Btl wrote:this was the first time a major film production didnt bother with "enemy extras" it got a reenactment group to do it for them. the british second battle group (SBG ) they came and were equiped with uniforms and isignia of "das reich" for the film but usually "Grenadiers of the 1.SS.Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler"
i wont bore you... visit their site!

http://www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk/frameset.htm
Excellent website. Reminds me of that episode of Dads Army when they wore German uniforms and one commented how smart they looked, and I think it was Captain Mainwaring (Mannering) who said some comment like, oi steady on and gave an appropriate look of disapproval.

Even Harry likes the German uniform. The German uniforms were very smart.

"episode 1 (5 SEP 75)
Ring Dem Bells

Mainwaring is delighted when the platoon is asked to take part in a training film. Then he discovers that they are expected to play Nazi troops. Wilson and Pike are chosen to play German officers because the relevant uniforms don't fit anyone else. The platoon arrive on location, only to be told that filming has been postponed for a week. Travelling home, still in their Nazi uniforms, they stop at a pub and are mistaken for real German soldiers. When they get back to Walmington, Hodges, the vicar and the verger also think that they are real Nazis and ring the church bells."

Dad's Army in the German Army :D
http://www.davecovcomedy.co.uk/whispers ... pike05.jpg

http://www.davecovcomedy.co.uk/whispers ... pike03.jpg
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Re: T-34

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

John W. Howard wrote:Hey Spandau:
I was very happy they at least got the correct era by using a T-34; better a T-34 than an M-48 or M-60!!
Sorry, but the tracks, roadwheels and sprocket from the "Tiger" match the M551 Sheridan exactly. T34 tracks and roadwheels have a different pattern. Compare the movie vehicles with the unmodified Sheridan:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 1-pics.htm

The tracks are the giveaway.
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

The tank crew, surely, were wearing the black panzer jackets--not Allgemeine-SS uniforms? (as per an earlier response)
infantryscout64

Re: T-34

Post by infantryscout64 »

Actually it was a T-34. The DVD version of the movie has a "making of" segment and it shows how they converted a T-34/85 into a Tiger. They even have a scale drawing of a T-34 placed within a outline of a Tiger. So it was definetly NOT a Sheridan.
BTW the used the same technique in "Kelly's Heroes" using the T-34 to make a Tiger.

maschinengewehr42 wrote:
John W. Howard wrote:Hey Spandau:
Sorry, but the tracks, roadwheels and sprocket from the "Tiger" match the M551 Sheridan exactly. T34 tracks and roadwheels have a different pattern. Compare the movie vehicles with the unmodified Sheridan:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 1-pics.htm

The tracks are the giveaway.
Lustmolch
Supporter

Post by Lustmolch »

Langemark wrote:I think the uniforms of the american soldiers are exact, but they dont care much about the detail of the enemy uniforms. There aren't so much people who know details about the german uniforms ... they must just look like germans - greenish color and that charismatic helmet. In "Brothers in Arms" the detail (and authenticy) is a lot better, i think.
The TV series "Band of Brothers" is (in my opinion) much better than SPR, being more objective in its portrayal of the protagonists. Attention to detail is superb, uniforms, equipment being spot on.

A lot of the uniforms, equipment and so forth were available a while back from Soldier of Fortune (not to be confused with the magazine of the same name). If I recall rightly, their website is http://www.1944airborne.com.
Schrÿnen

Post by Schrÿnen »

To MG-schütze : i see that you ask about where to buy uniforms etc.. being a collector myself for 10 years, i'd say that you have to pay extrem amounts for originals. a tunic for lets say waffen SS costs around 3-4 thousand dollars, while a replica ( and good ones) can be obtained for around 2-300 dollars.
Ebay.de,and qxl sites often have bids on good replicas.
Other then that i know of a site in norway which gives you good replicas for 200 dollars, i bougt a replica of Peipers uniform and its the best replica ive seen yet.

I hope this helps.
We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I might be a little late here, but the smocks were 'Burred edge' camoflage (spring side showing) and the uniform insignia was 'Das Reich.'

The 'Tiger' tank was based on a postwar T55 chassis. The T34 chassis would have been too small to have reasonably depicted a Tiger Tank. This tank, however, has been used many times in the 'War & Peace Show' battles in the UK.

A little footnote, one of the half tracks used in the film is owned by the SBG.
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

I believe the Tiger is currently owened by the 9th SS Hohenstaufen reenactment unit now also
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
timmy872
Supporter

Post by timmy872 »

bit late of a reply but incase anyone is dredging through...
they made 2 tigers, one died during filming. the other is now in the imperial war museum in duxford in a static display hiding in a house...
Skorzney44

Post by Skorzney44 »

Hey guys this is my first time posting thought I would give it a try.
Anyways as for the whole SPR unit question do a search on google for
Saving Private Ryan Encyclopedia once there find a section titled "how
much of the film is real." Look under the listings for S and find the topic
2nd ss. This should explain what unit was portrayed at the end battle in SPR. hopefully this information is useful.