Schalburg cross

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Franz Repper
Supporter

Schalburg cross

Post by Franz Repper »

what do you think is they guy on the right wearing a Schalburg cross as issued by the Danish SS or a War merit cross ,Now the cross has a backing to it that I dont know of .The date on the back says 22 12 43 and the names of the three sorry can make them out that well
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Franz!

I'm not that sure that the man to the right is wearing a Schalburg Cross. The Cross had at it's center a white swastika on a red circle. Your man's cross doesn't seem to have any darker colours/signs at it's center...

Schalburg cross
http://www.wikipedia.org

Btw, the three soldiers on the photograph seem to be ordinary Heer (Wehrmacht) and I always thought that most danish volunteers ended up in the Waffen-SS. And another thing with the Schalburg Cross is that it seems to have been very rarely awarded during the war (Littlejohn 1979).

Just my two cents,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

Doktor Krollspell thanks for that I was down to 2 ideas about the cross it looks the right shape for a war merit cross but wrong colour being white,the only thing then was the Schalburg Cross that beaing white ok now we have to think what is it
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Franz,

I think it is a KVK1 m. Schwertern. If you look hard, you can see the swords. He also wears the KVK2 ribbon through his buttonhole, alongside what appears to be the ribbon of the 1941/41 Winter War Medal, which can also be seen on the tunic of the man in the middle. I think he is a Heer administrative NCO.

Regards,

PK