Question on research

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Marcus

Question on research

Post by Marcus »

Who is the best person/people to contact when requesting copies of information on Swedish, Norwegian and Danish Waffen SS and Wehrmacht volunteers?

I'm looking for basically everything, like photos, documents, death certificates and so on so forth.

also would it be best to send them some money right away with a note saying that more would sent if needed or to ask how much it would cost?

Thanks in advance for the help!

/Marcus
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Marcus

I was always under the impression that some of those countries had excellent national archive collections that included a large amount of materal on units and personnel, aside from what may possibly be in the Bundesrachiv. I've seen references to large deposits of period newspapers, periodicals, etc. I personally have not studied those units to a great extent but might suggest contacting author Gerhard Hirschfeld. His book "Fremdherrschaft und Kollaboration, Die Niederlande under deutscher Besatzung 1940-45" has an extensive archive material and book bibliography and I heard another volume covering France was being researched some years ago but it was somewhat outside my own interests. I'd think he could offer good advice as to various collections/archives and holdings, many of which have hardly been explored. I don't know if Honor Clasp Holder Jan Vincx's research material went to an archive (it was extensive) or if it did which one. Both men delved into the areas you mentioned deeply. For Hirschfeld, if unsuccessful elsewhere, you could send a letter via the publisher, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt GmbH in Stuttgart. That's the best advice I can give to start.

Best
Mark
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Dear Mark,

Thank you for the help and advice offered so quickly!

I have alread sent an email to gerhard Hirschfeld after your tip, although I'm not certain if this email contact is still valid.
As for Jan Vincx, I really do not know where to start, I guess the National Archievs in Belgium? Or do you have some other suggestion?

Yes, the national archive collections here in sweden are usually pretty extensive howevere the persons who work there are usually quite unhelpful for whatever reason which usually means you have to run around making hundres of phone calls and getting no where.

Thanks once again for the advice and if you have any futher deatils I'd be more than happy to hear them!

Best Regards
Marcus