89th Infantry Division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

snafu947

89th Infantry Division

Post by snafu947 »

Are there any unit histories out there on the German 89th Division? Preferrably in English, but beggars can't be choosers.

Does anyone know of any personal accounts/diaries/memoirs written by 89th Division vets?

Has anyone interviewed any veterans of the 89th Division and care to share their stories?

And finally, does anyone know of any surviving veterans of the 89th who'd be willing to answer some questions?

Thanks for all of your time, and I hope to hear from you all soon.

Wm.T. Ripley
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Maybe this book will help?

Ein Blick zurück in die Eifel – Schicksalsweg der 89. Infanterie-Division - Gevert Haslob, Condo-Verlag, Emmelshausen 2000

Richard
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Ein Blick zurück in die Eifel - Schicksalsweg der 89. Infanterie-Division
Gevert Haslob, Condo-Verlag, 2000, 248 pages

Jan-Hendrik

EDIT : Damn , someone was quicker :D
snafu947

89th Division

Post by snafu947 »

Wow! Two replies already. Thank you both so much. Now, ready for the follow up? I'm thinking using inter-library loan to get any recommended books. Any other thoughts on this?

Thank you both again. I really appreciate it.

Wm.T.
lodieu didier

Post by lodieu didier »

Dear M. Ripley,

Like recommanded some friends from the forum there is the book from Herr Haslob. I got the luck to collaborate with him to write my book« La Massue » about the engagement of the 1st Polish armd Div. during the operation Totalize. If you are interested by you'll find a lot informations about the 89th, 85th, SS-Pz.jg. Abt. 12. But it's write in french. 260 pictures for 260 pages.
Sincerely yours
Didier
lodieu didier
Lorenz
Patron

Re: 89th Division

Post by Lorenz »

snafu947 wrote:I'm thinking using inter-library loan to get any recommended books. Any other thoughts on this?

Wm.T.
The presence of the Haslob book in a U.S. library is not a sure thing, but it's worth a try. If it is held by someone, you will have a much better change of getting it if you go through a local university or community college library rather than a local public library. The ILL system in the U.S. is not what it used to be and today university libraries (the most likely holder of a German language book) no longer like loaning their books to public libraries. But they do loan to other university or college libraries.

--Lorenz
lodieu didier

Post by lodieu didier »

Yes Lorenz, this is not only a good idee but this is the future for the books. The distributors takes in general 50 % of the price of the book. Imagine, if we can eliminate them, all the books could be bought !
Tchüss
lodieu didier
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

lodieu didier -

Yes, that is certainly so. However, sometimes relatively good prices can be found in the used book market on-line, provided the book is not too obscure.

http://www.abebooks.com/
http://www.alibris.com/
http://www.sfb.at/

To name but a few.....

--Lorenz
Doug Nash
Author

89th ID Officer

Post by Doug Nash »

Better yet,
You could contact Gevert Haslob directly at:

Herrn Gevert Haslob
Theodor-Storm Strasse 30
D-26160 Bad Zwischenhahn
Germany

Cheers!
- Doug Nash
lodieu didier

272 ID

Post by lodieu didier »

Hello Dough,

You are interesting by the 272. I.D. ? I am working on it since several years. Sincerely yours. Didier
lodieu didier
Doug Nash
Author

272 VGD

Post by Doug Nash »

Yes, I'm having a book published about that division by Aberjona Press this summer. The title is "Victory was Beyond their Grasp: The 272nd Volksgrenadier Division from the Huertgen Forest to the Heart of the Reich." Have been working on it since 2000 and have finished the draft. Now I'm finishing the maps & should have the whole thing at the publishers by May.
Thanks -
Regards,
Doug