north africa tanks

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Kommandeur

von_noobie

Post by Kommandeur »

Hi All

I have just been catching up on posts here ... and it strikes me that there are a lot of well informed people making detailed replies to von_noobie's various posts, but making little or no impression on his point of view, or his ability to form a coherent proposition.

I think v_n should start doing his own secondary research, and all the associated critical appraisal and cross-referencing of sources that process requires.

Sorry ... but these posts have made me quite cross ... especially seeing his less than articulate response to Ron's detailed (and very interesting) answer in this thread.

Rant over. :x

DK
afrika

Re: von_noobie

Post by afrika »

Kommandeur wrote:Hi All

I think v_n should start doing his own secondary research, and all the associated critical appraisal and cross-referencing of sources that process requires.
Sorry ... but these posts have made me quite cross ... especially seeing his less than articulate response to Ron's detailed (and very interesting) answer in this thread.

Rant over. :x

DK
I agree!
Von Noobie, for a start, try correcting your spelling and add at least a LITLE bit of puntuation! Reading your posts is like listening to one of Hitlers raving speeches! In fact I gave up reading most of them after firstly finding out about the fantasy image you have about things in North Africa! THEN, you wrote at least 500 words with no full stops or paragraphs, let alone constructively. It makes it seem like you are ranting on.

If you really want people to take your words seriously, get out of the cellphone text world you are living and write correctly. Yes, I am having a go, because you obviously have a strong emotional attachment about what you are posting, so at least let people read it the way it should be written.

Secondly, the point made about viewing others comments constructively are very valid. There will always be someone who knows more, so try to take on the knowlege of those who are better informed about FACTS, not fantasy. This is after all a forum about historical fact, if you wish to re-write the history books, go to a gaming site and spin your magic there.

I will watch this thread with interest to see where it goes and how many other members drop off your buddy list. At this point I will withhold my subject opinion and knowlege!!!!
mellenthin
Supporter

Re:

Post by mellenthin »

derGespenst wrote:Rommel shares the title of World's Worst Quartermaster with Robert E. Lee. The fact that he was in the pickle he was in at El Alamein was largely his own doing. He chose, against all kinds of advice, to go for Egypt after capturing Tobruk, instead of taking the golden opportunity that then existed for capturing Malta. Kesselring, knowing there were resources for one course of action but not both, advocated Malta but foolishly left the decision to Rommel, as he was the man on the spot. Kesselring had far better strategic sense than Rommel, who was basically at his best at Division command. Had he been in Russia, I doubt he would have gotten command of a Corps until the attrition in generals got to an advanced state.

How would Rommel have fed 250,000 men at El Alamein if he had them? How would he keep "many" tanks running? Where would 20 Tigers have come from in late 1942? They were still a relatively scarce commodity, reserved for the real fighting. And if he could have had all that and gone on to Suez, how would he transport all that to the other end of the continent to repel an American invasion without a rail network?
Rommel had no responsability for the supply of Axis forces in North Africa. And when your enemy is beaten, you need to pursue.
The decision to pursue was correct.
If Rommel alledgedly could not be supplied at El Alamein then a very deep retreat should have been decided by the high command.