Issue of new uniforms

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

legin

Issue of new uniforms

Post by legin »

:D When were new uniforms issued to frontsoldaten?
Was there a spring reissue?
Eg you see a lot of M42 unis by the time of Kurk summer offensive, (1943)but rare in Stalingrad (fall 1942). M40 frequent in Barbarossa photos, (1941), but not in France (1940)
Was issue irregular as I suspect, or are there general rules? Some depots may have had larger stocks of old unis that were issued first?
Would new recruit coming from depots be more likely to have the new unis?
Suspect GD had new unis on a test basis earlier than most?
Suspect that issue became very irregular after 1943 judging by the motely appearance of frontsoldaten, (1944-45), where squad photos, every other soldier wears a different style!
[email protected]
Bruno
Supporter

Post by Bruno »

My father's experience was such that the replacement units coming up to the front had the new uniforms. Supply was irregular because supply was interrupted.( partisans, supply congestion, ammo priorities) Uniforms were recycled, my father obtain proper fitting winter boots because the previous owner stupidly lit up a cig at night and was killed by a sniper. Hence the somewhat motley apperance- mix and match. Also there was some favoritism to the SS in providing proper gear.
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Another thing is that the earlier material was of superior quality so they tried to keep those as long as possible.

regards
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

As the war dragged on resupply of uniform items became increasingly less common for all the obvious reasons and troops had to make do with what they had or could come up with themselves.