Russian sniper

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

wwiibuff

Russian sniper

Post by wwiibuff »

I just saw a show about snipers on the History Channel last night. I have of course heard the stories about Vasiley Zaitsev and Maj. Koenig. What I am wondering is, was Zaitsev a legend created for propaganda or a real person? Is there any truth to the stories? :?:
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

I could be mistaken, but, I think he was real. Not sure about Major Koenig, though.
Locke
Supporter

Post by Locke »

Vasili Zeitsev was a real person. But there is no proof or data about the Major.
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 89&start=0
Tod sekla bridka bodo jekla in ti mi bos krvava tekla,
kri nasa te pojila bo, sovrazna te kalila bo!
Simon Gregorcic: Soci
wwiibuff

Post by wwiibuff »

Thank you for the replies. How much of the Zaitsev legend is true? I think the numbers of Germans he killed was more propaganda than fact. What happened to him? I have never heard anything of his story after Stalingrad. Was he killed? Did Stalin use him as a propaganda tool? Thanks ahead of time.
Sergei

Sergei

Post by Sergei »

There are some disagreements in how many Germans he killed but he was awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union. His original book has now been translated.. look here: http://www.notesofasniper.com
Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

Post by Sebastian Pye »

seems to be an extremely hard thing to determine, at least under some circumstances