Partisans of foreign origin in Italy 1943-1945

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Partisans of foreign origin in Italy 1943-1945

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Hello Gentlemen,
do anyone know hom many partisans of foreign origin (Slovene, Croat or, generally, Yugoslavian, Russian, CZ ect.) died in Italy since 1943 until 1945? The certified total of the partisans died sur le champ in Italy is of 35.000 but I don't know how many of them were foreign of passport or spirit.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Bye EC
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

What Italy do you have in mind? Pre-1941 border or today border?

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

As the statistic of the 35.000 partisans who died were based on the Civil registers of the original borders until the Treaty of Paris of 1947 and the subsequent pensions paid by the Italian Government the datas I'm looking for are inclusive of the previous provinces later lost.
Bye EC
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

ciao Enrico

I've not your answer (i'd be curious about it, too) but I think it should be proporzional to employment of foreign people by partisan forces.
Not-italian partisans were mainly:
-former POWs escaped by prisony fields
-desertors of Wehrmacht units, mainly Ostbattalion (some German too)
In either cases they were mainly east europe men, I suppose US and commonwealth personnel preferred trying to reach allied lines than join partisans (but there were too, I read of many australians and kiwi partisans).
For what concerns border areas, at west there was a clear division line between italian and french partisans. On eastern borders, situation was complicated. Yugo partisans had started activity into pre-war italian borders by 1942 (forcing italian army to organize a real war zone, one of the most unknown fronts of WWII) and after 1943 it became quite chaotical, in particular in 1944 a large part of italian communist formation passed under Yugo commands.
Summing: area east of Tagliamento river requires a separate treatment.

bye
Lupo
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Hi Lupo,

my idea is just the same. There was a proportion and i'm interested very much about the percentage, if available.
It's a difficoult and not sure study (my father show me, many years ago, the photos of some people at the "caduti" gallery in front of the Municpal Police in Piazza Maggiore in Bologna expleining me their names and ranks. They were RSI soldiers (some of the Brigate Nere) but had finished in their enemy and killers record (they were all murdered after the war) as it was necessary to do a number and the families would have, so, a little comfort at their grief!) but it should be an interesting one. The same silent about this aspect of the Civil War is the proof there's somenthing to study.
I didn't know about ANZAC members in the Partisans bands. I know, instead, that the Anglosaxon who joined the partisans were very few. Any furhter detail would be intersting. What I'm looking for, anyway, are numbers. A personal research reading the many marble tables dedicated at the partsans who died in many different various northern towns, show a never less than 10% total of slavic names (non nicknames),
The French border situation was not, anyway, so easy. In Val d'Aosta the dominant bands were dreaming for a French annexation yet during 1944 Spring and the political leader of a well known and rumorous new party born and developed in the Ninties now at the govern went sometimes crying with the TV assistance at the tomb of their leader, shot by the Decima MAS sailors during Summer 1944 promising avenge.
Bye EC