What were the Rangers?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Freiritter
Associate

What were the Rangers?

Post by Freiritter »

This question is about the U.S. Army Rangers of the ETO. What were they? Were they a raider force, similar to the British Commandos or something else?
GPR44

Post by GPR44 »

This site should help you:

http://www.grunts.net/army/rangers.html#_ww2

Steve Wright
The Glider Pilot Regiment 1942 -1945

'What manner of men are those who wear the maroon beret? They are, in fact, men apart. Every man an emperor.' Field Marshal B L Montgomery
Liam
Enthusiast

a bit off topic but...

Post by Liam »

Slightly off topic, but i've always wondered with the profusion of US special forces units (Green Berets, Seals, USMC recon, Rangers, Delta, and possibly USAF units) where one unit's speciality begins and/or ends. Or do they toss a coin to see who goes on a mission behind enemy lines!?
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi,

I guess it's just a question of semantic. I mean the word special should haven't the same signification in the US than in Europe. For special, I think the americans want to mean no-common unit by its size, its uses, its hierachy....
That was just an idea.

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Well, Liam, I'm not an expert, but, I believe that the U.S. special warfare community's diverse members are a group of specialized, though possibly related roles. The Green Berets are basically the strategic reconnaissance elements for the theater commander. Small teams that operate like the OSS sabotage teams and SOE. Also, they train local forces in guerrilla warfare and anti-guerrilla warfare ( depending on the politics ). If no local forces exist to perform these missions, they can act as such. SEALs are the U.S. Navy's recon/commando units, taking on missions for the fleet no more than 20 miles ( 12.4 km ) inland. Also, a SEAL team exists ( Team Six ) as an antiterrorist unit. Army Rangers nowadays are a light infantry unit specializing in infantry intensive operations in an airborne way, basically like the British Commandos of WWII, but from the air, not the sea. USMC Force Recon are scouts that operate in company (?) size units to provide forward data on terrain, enemy and such to USMC operations. Army Delta Force is an unit that officially doesn't exist, but is rumored to be the Army's dedicated antiterrorist unit. USAF special warfare units are unique. First, there's the Combat Controllers. These guys are a combination of airport control tower guys and Pathfinders from WWII airborne missions. They drop in to enemy territory to set up airfields, landing zones and guide the transports carrying paratroopers to their drop zones. The other USAF unit is the is Parajumpers, these guys are trained pararescue teams. They are sent in to pick up downed aircrew from enemy territory, like when the USAF fighter pilot in Kosovo was shot down by the Serbs, one unit of these guys were sent to get him back. Hopefully, this serves to help and inform you, Liam. Thank you all for your replies.
WT
Supporter

Post by WT »

During the war US Army Rangers trained with British Commandos in Scotland and North Ireland. 50 Rangers participated in the Dieppe Raid with No. 4 Commando under the command of Lord Lovat. Rangers also participated in other raids and battles in Italy and Normandy.

Rangers were specialized light infantrymen trained to take a specific objective. They usually fought in company and battalion actions.

As an aside SEAL Team 6 was disbanded years ago.
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Thanks, WT. My information on SEAL Team Six was unfortunately more than a few years old.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

US rangers in modern parlance are a sort of highly trained light infantry who can flesh out spec ops when more firepower is needed. Their missions are more of the 'kill people and break things' variety.

Special Forces are more apt to organize partisans, train 'friendly' forces , sneak around marking targets, and assist political operatives like CIA. They are cross trained and often have indigenous language skills (hard to keep up with that one).

Delta is something of a toss up between Special Forces and SAS and were as I recall, orginally trained by SAS.

Ultimately, the profusion of special forces types can cause problems like in Carter's ill concieved raid into Iran. Everybody wanted in on it and too many cooks spoil the broth. Oddly enough, the US Military was traditionally very much anti special forces - didn't like to form elite units, particularly the Marines.

reb