SS Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
rjb44

SS Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein

Post by rjb44 »

Was SS Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein well respected among others close to AH. Was he well liked among other SS commanders and soldiers.
Although the SS was feared as a whole, and being SS General certaily had it's own identiy, where people more fearful, or maybe itimidated by SS Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein beacuse of his closeness to AH and assignment to Fuhrer HQ. Were other military commanders uncomfortable with him beacuse oif ths situation, which of course fell foul in 1945.

Was he personally promoted to the rank of SS Gruppenführer by AH or Himmler. I wonder if he achievd his promotion through the standard process which governs all officer's promotions. Was SS Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein one of the youngest SS generals during the war ?
Regoltvon
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

I don't think he was overly popular with other senior commanders, a somewhat less capable divisional commander as was not a professional military officer with training. Handeled the Brigade but depended on staff at divisional level. Was peronally brave (see his award text recommendations). Opinions vary among those I've contacted as to opinions of lower ranks. He did try to maintain a favored status and position with Himmler and was somewhat large in ego when running the Munich SS riding school, due to its socual status. ALL promotions at senior rank had to be approved by Hitler, even if recommended by Himmler.

Mark