stg44 in movies

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

matthall
Contributor

stg44 in movies

Post by matthall »

I just saw an stg44 for the first time ever in a movie and it wasn't the kind of movie you'd expect. It was in a movie called "All the queens men" with Matt Leblanc from friends. At the end of the movie a member of Matts gang is holding what looks to as a stg44. Could anyone defy or verify if that actually is a stg44? Have anyone seen a stg in any other movie?
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

A movie with Matt LeBlanc? Are you sure it wasn't called "All the Men Are Queens"?!?!?!
matthall
Contributor

Post by matthall »

ratdog wrote:A movie with Matt LeBlanc? Are you sure it wasn't called "All the Men Are Queens"?!?!?!
He he, no but the movie sure implied it. The story was about four guys dressing up as women to be able to get into a factory that manufactored enigma machines. Not a very good movie though.
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

It's only people like us that have even heard of a StG44.

Roger
ctschatz

Post by ctschatz »

Battle of the Bulge has one in it for a few seconds. In the bunker when they bring in the german prisoners.
Christian
"In war I would deal with the Devil and his grandmother. "
Josehph Stalin
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

@ Matthall

A screen shot would ease up the clear identification as I have not seen the movie...and not to keen on seeing it :wink:

Regards
matthall
Contributor

Post by matthall »

Danny wrote:@ Matthall

A screen shot would ease up the clear identification as I have not seen the movie...and not to keen on seeing it :wink:

Regards
I'm sorry but i only rented the movie. It's not that bad a movie though.
pak40

StG-44's

Post by pak40 »

also their was one standing up against a building in,
"The Guns of Navarone"

Chris
If at first you don't succeed, forget it.-Murphy
FJR5

Post by FJR5 »

I have seen a photo from Band of Brothers with the cast at rest and one of them has a Stg 44. However I cant see the same extra in the episode. (The Ardennes episode.) So used but not seen!
Gary B

Post by Gary B »

The movie titled, "Judgement at Dawn" or maybe "Decision at Dawn" is the story of captured German soldiers going back into Germany (in the final months of the war) as spies on behalf of the allied forces. Based on true events and filmed in Germany in the late 40's, there are several scenes of SS and field gendarmes armed with Stg. 44, looking for possable deserters.
Great shots with lots of detail of a wide variety of uniforms, weapons, and vehicles. Women stacking bombing debries, the bar girl with one leg, the fanatics and the defeatists and everyone in between. No real bad guys, just really bad times... REAL BAD TIMES... Hey folks, for my money this is one of the best, a powerfully realistic portrayal of what life may have been like in Germany towards the end of the war.
Gary B.
MilitaryMan8472

Post by MilitaryMan8472 »

Roger Griffiths wrote:It's only people like us that have even heard of a StG44.

Roger
and anyone who has played "Medal of Honor"
"They got us surronded, the poor bastards"
WMDGreen

Stg44 in Movies

Post by WMDGreen »

Hello matthall

The Sturmgewehr 44 also appears in at least one of the Michael Caine 'Harry Palmer' movies, 'Funeral in Berlin' (1966), being carried by 'East' German soldiers, presumably as a substitute for the AK47, which wasn't available for use by film companies in the West, at that stage of the Cold War era (pre-'Rambo'!).

I can't remember seeing the Stg44 actually being fired in a movie, I would presume it's because of the rarity of the ammo, maybe they've never made blanks in this calibre ?

I can recall seeing a 'dressed up' Stg44 in 'The Empire Strikes Back', being used by one of the rebel army during the ice planet Hoth battle scenes.
mentos

a movie of stg44

Post by mentos »

A bit of topic but I found a intresting movie of a stg44 in action. I forgot from wich site i found it on.

http://members1.chello.nl/c.bes2/stg44.mpeg
matthall
Contributor

Post by matthall »

Thanks y'all!
Especially for that movie, it was awesome!
David Gregory

Sturmgewehr 44 in post-war use

Post by David Gregory »

The reference above to a lack of AK47s for portrayal of East German forces is not entirely correct.

Like other items of wartime ordnance, the StG family of weapons continued to be used by the East German armed forces, police units and workers militias for some time after the war. Some of the better known images are of factory militia protection brigades carrying StGs in parades.

There are also a fair number of magazine pouches of East German and Czech post-war manufacture still being offered as pre-May 1945 German items. Frequently encountered pouches are often made of dark blue canvas, for example.

Western intelligence services also reported use of StGs in areas of terrorist activity, presumably from stocks captured by the Soviets, with examples being found in South-east Asia, the Middle East and South America.

Standard 7.92x33 ball ammunition made during and after the war, often by the same companies in East Germany and Czechoslovakia, still sometimes appears on the surplus market with post-war labels. The weapons were also used by Greece, at least, and ammunition was also produced in Spain and Argentina. Relabeled wartime German was offered commercially in the US in the 1950's and also for evaluation trials of the early FN-FAL chambered for 7.92x33.

Examples of post-war magazines and ammunition and re-labeled wartime German rounds can be seen in Peter Senich's "The German Assault Rifle: 1935-1945".

David
The excitement is in tents (pun intended) - visit http://www.zeltbahn.net and see.
German ID documents and related biographies at http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/