T-52???

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Ethelian

T-52???

Post by Ethelian »

In Rupert Butlers book on the 5th SS he mentions them going up against some Russian T-52's.Can anyone enlighten me to what they where?I cannot place them.What armament,when produced that sort of thing.

Or was it a typo?

Thanks

Ethelian
Paul Hanson
Contributor

RE: Soviet T-52?

Post by Paul Hanson »

I feel it's an error. There was no such tank used by the Soviets in WWII, or any other time AFAIK.
PH
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Never heard of it either. Could he mean SU-152?

regards
Ethelian

Post by Ethelian »

Thanks for that guys:)

I didn't think i has missed one and the time frame for it being an SU152 is wrong.He was talking about late '41 early 42 and the SU152 was not in service then.

The book is very basic and quite confusing in places so i am not surprised he has made a mistake.Could be he meant the T-28.He did say it was a heavy tank,or it could have been a KV-1.Just one of those mysteries we will never solve:)
andrus
Supporter

Post by andrus »

"t-52 late 41 early 42"

well, at this time germans were referring soviet tanks according to weight. 52 ton tank usually means KV-2, but sometimes more common KV-1 was called this way also.
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

Wern't Romanian PZ38-t's called the T52?
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

A quick google search reveals that the Type 52 is in fact a Chineses tank, but it was a post war design (and is still in use by the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan!). Most likely it is a clone of an equivelent Soviet tank, but I haven't yet found which. There was, however, a Soviet T-50 medium tank during the early war.

http://www.battlefield.ru/t50.html
Paul Hanson
Contributor

52 ton Soviet tank

Post by Paul Hanson »

I think Andrus hit it dead on. I didn't think about this but he is correct. The Germans referred to the KV-1 as a "52 ton tank" in most battle reports until early 1942 when they began to refer to it as the K.W.-1 tank.

I feel this is the answer: instead of T52 think 52t(on) and flip the designation. Someone either wrote it incorrectly or remembered it incorrectly.

PH
Ethelian

Post by Ethelian »

I don't think it was a spelling mistake i think from reading the book that it is sloppy research. I would not recommend them to anyone unless they where only looking for superficial info