but I am unsure if any other U-Boot operated in and around Aruba and
attacking the oil refinery.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Laurens
Supporter

Post by Laurens »

Hello Danny,

It was indeed the U-156 from Hartenstein who opened the campaign on the Lagos refinery on Aruba (it was then the largest in the world). That particular U-boat was part of a larger group named 'Group Neuland'. It was composed of the following U-boats;
  • U-67 from Günther Müller-Stöckheim
    U-156 from Werner Hartenstein
    U-502 from Jürgen von Rosenstiel
    U-129 from Nikolaus Clausen
    U-161 from Albrecht Achilles
On February 16, 1942, the U-156 was the first U-boat to enter the harbor. He then sunk the 2400 ton British tanker 'Oranjestad' and damaged the other two tankers in the harbor. After a human mistake on the deck gun (the personnel crippling their own gun), the U-156 was forced to leave the harbor and move towards Martinique.
U-67 and U-502 were forced to take over the attack, but by the time they arrived, the island was on full alert. Coastal defense guns were manned and neither U-boat was able or willing to undertake an attack. The refineries and tank farms thus remained untouched !

Cheers,
Laurens
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

Thank you very much for your quick reply...

...I am informed of the deck gun incedent, killing crew members and crippling one.

The specify my question:

a torpedo was discovered ashore, and during the atempt of recorvering
it, 6 (I think) civilians were killed.

I think this Aal (torpedo) must have been fired by U 156, as the other ones did not have the opertunity to fire.

What do you think?
Laurens
Supporter

Post by Laurens »

I wasn't aware of the fact that some people tried to recover a torpedo. With no doubt, it must be from the U-156 since she was the only one firing any torpedo's at the three tankers. Only one tanker was lost, so it could well be that one of the torpedo's ended up on the beach. That's my opinion however, I cannot confirm it completely.

We may not forget the fact that the U-156 was alone during the attack. Allthough departing as a group from Europe, the U-boats operated in an area from Aruba to Curaçao to Trinidad.

Hope to have helped,
Laurens
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

Thank you very much for your help!
Visje

Re: Aruba

Post by Visje »

Hi Danny,

It was indeed the U-156 that fired the torpedo that beached. It was during the attack on two Lake-tankers.

Later, several Dutch navy men were killed while trying to salvage the beached torpedo in a somewhat unsafe manner. It exploded and I believe three were killed (one officer and two marines). I have the data at home, but I will have to look it up later.

Regards,
Visje
Visje

Re: Aruba

Post by Visje »

Also check this post by yours truly at
http://www.uboat.net:

http://www.uboat.net/forum/read.php?f=3&i=3863&t=3858

Type in "Aruba" in the forum's search engine, and it will yield numerous results.

Regards,
Visje
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

Thank you for your help!