Hitler's War by David Irving

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Paul
Banned

Hitler's War by David Irving

Post by Paul »

Just wondering if anybody here has read this book.....and what they thought of it........and also are there any other books on the same subject which go into the same depth by a different author.
Bittrich
Contributor

David Irving

Post by Bittrich »

I have the book but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I know his book was attacked by many people for claiming that Hitler didn't know anything about the Holocaust. I'm even skeptical of that fact seeing how he was the leader of the country. Irving also wrote "Churchills War", "Goering:A Biography" and "Trail of the Desert Fox".
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Wurger
Contributor

Hitler's War - David Irving

Post by Wurger »

To give David Irving his due, he is a prolific writer and a master at uncovering new historical source material. This later quality is due to his close relationships with many important Nazi leaders and their families. However, as mentioned in the previous post, he is a Nazi apologist who has battled repeatedly with other war historians and Holocaust scholars. There are several recent books that detail his apologist works and his court battles.

These considerations aside, I found that "Hitler's War" was not a very good book, simply because for all Irvings claims of using new source material, etc., it did not really present any new revelations about the war. The "new" sources in the book are largely the diaries and journals of Nazi secretaries, office functionaries, and support staff. Much of the new content is gossip quality (mis)information and the inane details of these peoples' everyday lives. Overall, I found the book to be pretty weak. A great deal has been published on the Third Reich since Irving's book came out that will run circles around it. You might weant to look elsewhere.

Regards,

Wurger
Jussi
Supporter

Post by Jussi »

I can agree with Wurger. I had great anticipations when I finally got hold of this book and started to chew me right through it. Having read all about the controversy and the unique sources, as mentioned by Wurger, I was dissapointed to find it didn´ really bring forth anything new. A arcane source doesn´t necessary make things more "true". What I found most interesting in the book was the introduction where he discusses various sources and their validity. Anyway, much has been written since it first appeared and, by all means, read it if you get hold of it. But also try to get hold of "Hitler and the Final Solution" by Gerald Fleming, which examines specifically parts that are utterly weak in David Irvings "Hitler´ War".
Al Carter

Post by Al Carter »

I loved Hitler's War and the War Path. I downloaded it from his sight, and was constantly printing out pages. Could not put it down. Not really being interested in Hitler or what he knew of the jewish question I have not read anything else on him. I was looking more for his interaction with generals during the war in the east. Hitler's War I think gives a good recogning of how the war started from the early stages through to the end. One thing that I found fascinating was the diplomacy that was used leading up to the war. The book is also written like a novel that flows smoothly and is easy to read (unlike say something like Steel Inferno which is a great book, but a bear to read one page). You do need a little knowledge of the Third Reich era and the war itself to truely enjoy the book.

As far as the controversy of the sorrounding Irving, Hitler's War was mainly just what it implies about the war. Very little about other aspects of the Third Reich.

The book is free, download it a see for yourself, can't go wrong.

Al Carter
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. ~Joseph Stalin~
Guillermo
Contributor

Document

Post by Guillermo »

David Irving claims that AH did not order Endlösung. No documents or signature have been found. Regarding the infamous Wansee Conference, David also claims that its main objective was to find a way to get rid of the Jews in Europe (ghettos, forced migration, etc), but not necessarily their extermination (Ausgerottung).

I´d like to hear your comments on this one.

Thank you.

Guillermo
Brazil

"Lula lá, Tarso cá!"
Guillermo
Contributor

Document

Post by Guillermo »

David Irving claims that AH did not order Endlösung. No documents or signature have been found. Regarding the infamous Wansee Conference, David also claims that its main objective was to find a way to get rid of the Jews in Europe (ghettos, forced migration, etc), but not necessarily their extermination (Ausgerottung).

I´d like to hear your comments on this one.

Thank you.

Guillermo
Brazil

"Lula lá, Tarso cá!"
Jussi
Supporter

Post by Jussi »

That is exactly why you should read "Hitler and the Final Solution" by Gerald Fleming. It dispels any myths about Hitler as the "unknowing" or "not wanting". I don't like when Hitler is demonized, but I also don't like when he pictured as the fatherly unknowing Führer. That there is no written order doesn't prove anything. Hitler didn't have to justify his actions to anyone - his word was law. There are enough incriminating evidence in documents and witnesses to confirm that Hitler both knew and ordered what the jews destiny was to be.
Al Carter

Post by Al Carter »

Hello Guillermo,
I do not think there is anyway that Hitler did not know what was going on under his watch. I also think that he sanctioned what was going on. That is about all he preached during his time in front of the public.

If I remember correctly Irving didn't make any inflammatory statements in Hilters War. I think he stated there were no documents regarding this, but he did state that Hitler and Himmler had private meetings that no minutes were recorded. I make no statements as to where Irving stands on the on the final solution only on his book "Hitlers War". I have only read "Hitler War" and "The War between the Generals" so I am no Irving expert.

Al Carter
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. ~Joseph Stalin~
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

I think Hitler's War is a useful read. It is thought-provoking because it looks at Hitler from a very unusual angle, that is, as a rational commander in chief. Unsurprisingly, Irving is not exactly very critical of Adolf, an attitude which he at times takes to quite absurd lengths, in essence just restating Adolf's position in the face of criticism rather than making any independent assessment. I enjoyed it and found it useful, but often disagreed with the author, especially in the second volume. And it always pays to keep in mind the position from which the book is written.

cheers
blackfire
Supporter

Hitler's war continued

Post by blackfire »

Qvist wrote:I think Hitler's War is a useful read. It is thought-provoking because it looks at Hitler from a very unusual angle, that is, as a rational commander in chief. Unsurprisingly, Irving is not exactly very critical of Adolf, an attitude which he at times takes to quite absurd lengths, in essence just restating Adolf's position in the face of criticism rather than making any independent assessment. I enjoyed it and found it useful, but often disagreed with the author, especially in the second volume. And it always pays to keep in mind the position from which the book is written.

cheers
I tend to agree. Its good value for money since its free. But then again its free as no one will pay for it!

However I consider it to being almost an autobiography that Hitler might have written for himself if he was a bit saner. It is well written. I also could not put it down. Of course Hitler failures were covered or transferred to others and much of his ideology is not mentioned.

The real Hitler would probably have agreed with this statement that "Germany failure proves that the German people are not good enough for him."