What are the most detailed histories of the Afrika Campaign?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Rick White

What are the most detailed histories of the Afrika Campaign?

Post by Rick White »

Thanks!

Rick
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

In German, English, French, Martian?? :wink:

There are many excellent works, but it also depends on what languages you read. Also, are you looking for general overviews of the campaigns or something that has more of a focus on the military units themselves?

I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the following:

The Foxes of the Desert, by Paul Carell (Just like his works on the Eastern Front, only about Africa, excellent read!)

Uniforms, Organization and History of the Afrikakorps, by Roger Bender (Another classic, about 30 years old but still holds its own regarding content and usefulness, although not a campaign overview and EXCELLENT overview of DAK itself.)

Afrikakorps Self Portrait, by Dal McCuirk (Excellent photographic overview of the German war in Africa, totally from previously unpublished solider photos.)

The Battle for North Africa 1940-43, by WGF Jackson (Compreshensive campaign overview of essentially all fighting in Africa, including the rarely know Abyssinia Campaign - directed a little more towards the British view versus the German view, but covers it all very well.)

The Life and Death of the Afrika Korps, by Ronald Lewin (Short, concise overview of the campaigns in NA, more from the German perspective, a good solid book.)

Afrikakorps at War, vol I and II, by George Forty (Older more "coffe-table" style books but with an excellent mix of campaign information, unit histories, vehicle equipment discussion, etc - a good place to start although they are long oop, but should be easily found at second hand book stores.)

There is also a brand new book in French/English that Heimdal just released on the campaign. Haven't really looked it over though. Mainly a photo history if I am not mistaken.

Hope this helps!!