dutch volunteers in the Waffen SS, I need help here please?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Which Battalion commander do you need info about Cees?
Former member
Cees Kleijn

Post by Cees Kleijn »

Hello Timo,

I am searching for any additional info about SS-Sturmbahnführer Max Gebhardt who should have been the commander of I./Gren. Rgt. 1 "Landwacht Nederland" firstly and I guess of the same batallion after the new unit designation in the end of 1943.

Max Gebhardt, from 6 November 1899, served in several concentration camps - Esterwegen (1935), Oranienburg, Auschwitz (commander III. Totenkopfsturmbann 3. Totenkopfstandarte (?))- before transfered to Russia and later Holland, where he was assigned to command the fresh and newly founded "Landwacht Nederland." His NSDAP and SS number are 1374719 and 44185 respectively. He eventually died when passing a guard post without stopping in the vicinity of Elspeet on December 9 1944.

He was buried on the cemetery of Heidehof on December 13. The burial ceremony was accompanied with a band of the Germaansche SS Nederland and three salutes were fired by German soldiers. It is conspicuous that no Ortskommandant and clergyman were present on the burial, while he was a high ranking CO and of catholic origin. His body was exhumed after the war and transfered to the Soldatenfriedhof in Ysselsteijn.

This is the information I have, accompanied with a very extensive Feldpost correspondence from him to his wife from 1942 till his dead at the end of 1944. I am very interested in gaining more information and was therefore wondering if HaEn could tell me more about him. When you know more, than I will be pleased to receive it. Thanks.

With best regards,
Cees
HaEn
WWII Vet

Gebhard

Post by HaEn »

I don't have any additional info, but remember the story, as told by a still living Landstormer in Nederland.. The sentry shouted for him to stop his car (a kubelwagen) , he ignored it and the sentry fired when he sped past him. He supposedly hit him right in the head, and the kubelwagen became a wreck, with a very dead driver. The sentry by the way got promoted to Sturmmann for exceptional display of duty, if i remember it well, his name was Brouwer. Just a flash memory. HN.
BrianC
Supporter

Book

Post by BrianC »

Hi Haen, please keep us posted on your book and if it will be published, if you need any help with Publishers in the UK let me know and i will do some groundwork for you, would be a shame for it not to be published soon.
Best Wishes
Brian.
Cees Kleijn

Post by Cees Kleijn »

Hallo HaEn,

This was just the additionial info I was seeking for! I was really wondering if you met that officer personally or whether you heard of the story about his death. May I ask where you were stationed when you heard of the story? Do you also cover this story in your book? Well, I am putting questions in again. My apologies, I have to be more patient I guess!

All the best,
Cees