Indiana Jones brain niggler

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

k-pp
Contributor

Indiana Jones brain niggler

Post by k-pp »

Raiders of The Lost Ark was on British television this evening. Something that's been niggling my brain since I was a kid: How did Indiana Jones get on board that submerging U-Boot, and where could he have hidden?

Any clues?

Should I post this under the Kriegsmarine section for technical advice?
MCO

Re: Indiana Jones brain niggler

Post by MCO »

k-pp wrote:Raiders of The Lost Ark was on British television this evening. Something that's been niggling my brain since I was a kid: How did Indiana Jones get on board that submerging U-Boot, and where could he have hidden?

Any clues?

Should I post this under the Kriegsmarine section for technical advice?
This question hasn't kept you up nights all these years has it? Just to think, I have wasted all my time thinking of those philosophical questions when I could have been engaged "niggling" my brain on these other issues. Don't niggle too much, it will make you go blind. Thank God, the Commissar is in the Betty Ford Clinic right, he'll flip out over the word, and call in the Rev Al Sharpton to protest you until he dug out a dictionary (like I did as well) and found out what the word meant.
ctschatz

Indy.

Post by ctschatz »

Something that bothers me that movie is where did he get that RPG? How come the Germans are All in Africa core uniforms with M43 trop. caps and the movie is set in the mid 30's. What on earth was that flying wing? Last but not least why arn't the Germans wearing pith helmets?
C.
"In war I would deal with the Devil and his grandmother. "
Josehph Stalin
Einsamer_Wolf
Banned

Post by Einsamer_Wolf »

Besids Spielberg's most unflattering portrayal of the German in this movie, another snafu is having JOnes attempt to take the arc hostage with a bazooka, or Panzerschreck as the Germans woudl call it. I am not even sure the Americans had these in the thirties. But the Germans only had them after they captured some in West Africa as the African Campaign wore down.
As to the matter with the u-boat, one just has to write it off as Hollywood absurdity. I do not know how he would sneak inside. The hatches are locked. In any case the quarters in a U Boot were so cramped that he would have no place to hide. If he shoudl stay on deck hoping the submrine would not submerge, crews would eventually find him there too. Spielberg, perhaps because of his heritage, seems compelled to portray the germans as ugly, boofonish, inept, and moronic. Saving Private Ryan was not much better.

Best Wishes,

Einsamer Wolf
Mögen die Flammen unserer Begeisterung niemals zum Erlöschen kommen.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I guess that would be what my old language arts teachers would refer to as 'artistic license!' I wonder if there's a test for that license? If not, there damned well ought to be!! :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Einsamer_Wolf
Banned

Post by Einsamer_Wolf »

Yes--and despite Spielberg's success, his should be revokled. Very few of his films have I actualyl liked. Cheap, crass culture for the masses--the ugliness and vulgarity of hte modern age epitomized in one man!

Warm Regards,

Einsamer Wolf
Mögen die Flammen unserer Begeisterung niemals zum Erlöschen kommen.
MCO

Post by MCO »

Einsamer_Wolf wrote:Cheap, crass culture for the masses--the ugliness and vulgarity of hte modern age epitomized in one man!
Warm Regards,
Einsamer Wolf
Dammit, E.W., have you been reading Oswald Spengler again? 8)