Senior Waffen SS General

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
rjb44

Senior Waffen SS General

Post by rjb44 »

Who was more senior - Sepp Deitrich or Paul Haussar. I know that these two officers were the highest ranking Waffen-SS field commanders. What was the highest command each had. (Corps, Army, Army Group) Did both serve on the East and in the West. I have see only one picture of Sepp Deitrich wearing the insignia (3 pips on collar) of a Col. General. The picture was dated August 1944. It appears he had attained this rank by at least the sumemr of 1944. I have not seen any pictures of Haussar wearing the rank of Col General, although I have seen pictures of him in late 1944.
Regoltvon
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Here are some data of J.S.D. and P.H.

Josef Sepp Dietrich:
- born 1892
- June 1928 in SS became SS-Sturmführer
- received RK (4.7.1940), RKE (31.12.'41), RKES (14.3.1943) and RKESB (6.8.'44)
- Oberbefehlshaber der 6.SS-Panzerarmee
- honour rank of Panzer-General-Oberst der W-SS

Paul Hausser:
- born 1880,
- Nov. 1934 transfered from SA to SS-VT
- RK (8.8.1941), RKE (28.7.1943) and RKES (26.8.1944)
- Oberbefehlshaber 7. Armee (at the end of war was in Feldmarschal Albert Kesselring's staff).

Hausser was older, but Dietrich first joined SS. Josef received one more RK-decoration. As for as I know, the senioroty of two same-ranking officers was decided by their time in military service (that who was in army longer, was a senior officer).

They both were on West- and East-front.

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
rjb44

Senior Waffen SS General

Post by rjb44 »

I had subsequently read that both were promoted in 1944. Ditriech on Aug 1st 1944. Haussar apperently was promoted later that year, but had his actual promotion date back dated to August 1st 1944.

Although, Ditriech was in the SS earlier, wasn't Haussar higher rank in the regular Army (General).

Was thier ever a time in which either one of them served as the other's superior officer. Meaning one possibly being a division commander, the other a corps or army group commander. Or where they always serving in different areas during the war, where thier commands never crossed.
Regoltvon
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

I found this on http://members.tripod.com/~SSPzComdr/SeppDietrich.html.
Dietrich was promoted to the rank of SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer und Generaloberster der Waffen-SS on August 1st, 1944. For the purposes of seniority, the promotion was effective April of 1942, this date Hitler had originally planned to have him obtain that rank. It was delayed because he would have out ranked Paul Hausser, who in 1942 was forming the initial SS corps size formation. Also Dietrich received the honorary rank of ”Panzer Generaloberst der Waffen SS,” he was the only officer designated as that rank.
Maybe this will help you?

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Another reply regarding command of SS-units.

J.S.D.:
- CO of SS-Inf.Rgt. (mot.) »LSSAH« (from 1933...)
- CO of SS-Div. »LSSAH«
- CO of SS-Pz.Gren.Div. »LSSAH« (...to 4.7.1943)
- CO of I. SS-Pz.Korps (4.7.'43 – 9.8.'44)
- CO of 6. SS-Armee (26.10.'44 – 8.5.'45)

P.H.:
- CO of SS-Div. »Reich« (19.10'39 – 14.10.'41)
- CO of II. SS-Pz.Korps (1.6.'42 – 29.6.'44)
- CO of 7. Armee (8/44 - ?)

When was P.H. CO of SS-Pz.Korps/II. SS-Pz.Korps (1.6.'42 – 29.6.'44), was LSSAH (under the command of J.S.D.) from 8/42-10/42 and again in 3/43 under II. SS-Pz.Korps, so Dietrich was under Hausser.

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Hausser briefly commanded a Heeresgruppe, a higher formation command than Dietrich had.

Mark
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Mark C. Yerger wrote:
Hausser briefly commanded a Heeresgruppe, a higher formation command than Dietrich had.
Which one?

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
JEROME Georges
Supporter

Hausser

Post by JEROME Georges »

Heeresgruppe Oberrhein (army group Upper Rhine)

on january 1945
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Thanks, Jerome.

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Helmut
Patron

Re: Senior Waffen SS General

Post by Helmut »

rjb44 wrote:I had subsequently read that both were promoted in 1944. Ditriech on Aug 1st 1944. Haussar apperently was promoted later that year, but had his actual promotion date back dated to August 1st 1944.

Although, Ditriech was in the SS earlier, wasn't Haussar higher rank in the regular Army (General).

Was thier ever a time in which either one of them served as the other's superior officer. Meaning one possibly being a division commander, the other a corps or army group commander. Or where they always serving in different areas during the war, where thier commands never crossed.

At the Battle of Kharkov in the spring of 1943, Hausser commanded the SS Panzer Korps and Dietrich was, I believe, still in command of the LAH, which was a subordinate unit of the corps if memory serves.