Tunic Colour of Reconnaissance units Kurt Meyer

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Noel Petroni
Supporter

Tunic Colour of Reconnaissance units Kurt Meyer

Post by Noel Petroni »

I would like to know the following regarding the crew of a reconnaissance unit in a SdKfz 222 of Kurt Mayer in Greece 1941....

a) What colour would the panzer tunic be
b) would the officer wear a peaked cap
c) what is the colour of the piping on the tunic

Thanks in advance

Noel
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey Noel!

I believe that at this time the Armoured Car crews wore the Black Panzer Uniform. Later they changed into the Field Grey Version of the Panzer Uniform.

See these links for help:

http://members.shaw.ca/deutschesoldaten/

http://members.shaw.ca/deutschesoldaten/afvsuit.htm

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Aüflarungs units

Post by Paul Hanson »

Aüfklarungs units were originally issued the black Panzer uniform. In early 1943 the feldgrau Sturmartillerie uniform was issued to Aüfklrungs troops, but only to crews of SPW's. Panzerspähwagen crew were to continue to wear the black Panzer uniform. Needless to say, the reality is that crew wore what they wanted or what they had irregardless of regulations.

As for the Waffenfarbe of SS Aüfklarungs units: copper-brown was the official color until 1942 when it was changed to golden-yellow. But this order may have only officialized what was a common practice.

PH
Noel Petroni
Supporter

Post by Noel Petroni »

Thanks Guys!

You've been very helpful! My main hobby is constructing scale models, mainly German AFV's in 1:35 scale. At the moment I'm in near completion of an SdKfz 222 (I was inspired to choose this period 1941 in Greece, after reading the book 'Grenadiers' by Kurt Meyer!)

I'm placing two figures with it, so I needed to be accurate. Keep in touch as I might send some pic's when all is ready.

Regards
Noel