resistance

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Lupo Solitario
Contributor

resistance

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Hi all
I'm trying to estimate the role of resistance movemnt in western europe

Have you any idea about:
-how many partisans operated in occupied europe
-how many german troops had been employed against partisans
-how many german/axis soldiers and how many partisans died in guerrilia
-Which had been the major engagements between axis and resistance forces?

Possibly excluding Russian and Yugo resistances

any info is appreciated
thanks
Lupo
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

If you are interested in Slovene Partisans, just say it.
Slovenija gre naprej!
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

A lot, overall if you have infos on activity west of italo-yugoslavian border between 1941 and 1943...

thx
Lupo

PS you can also write me directly to [email protected]
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

italo-yugoslavian border between 1941 and 1943...
West from this border is all of Slovenia! :wink:
I think, that you mean 99. Province of Roman Empire (Italy), so called Ljubljanska pokrajina (Province of Ljubljana). Am I right?

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

No, I'm just asking about activity in Isonzo valley and the rest of Venezia Giulia, west of 1923 border in a word. I'm researching this unknown front and I'd like to have the slovenian viewpoint
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

OK, if you want, I can post about Partisans units in Soca valley and some of battle here.
Slovenija gre naprej!
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Thank you very much for any possible info
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Well, as far as I know Tito's Partisans seemed to have disrupted the Germans quite a bit and forced many troops to be sent to the Yugoslavia area instead of where they were needed, at the front.

Sorry, I don't think this helps out with your question that much since you excluded Soviet and Yugo. Well, I believe the French and Czech resistence caused much disruption as well, sorry not too much info.

All I can say is that the role of the Resistence caused German troops to be distracted from the Front, as well as causing Supply disruptions and Movement problems.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
alsaco

Resistance and Partizans

Post by alsaco »

I think we must consider two different type of resistance.

You seem to think to the armed groups, organised and fighting, as the main activity of resistance.
In fact these were just active during a very short period, winter and spring 1945 in Italy, august and september 1944 in France and Belgium.
The number of people involved in these fights did not exceed 50 000 people, of which less than 10 000 really did participate in combat.
Most of these groups formed columns to chase retreating germans from the south west of France toward Dijon.
The story of these groups can be found under the title they had, name of their leader usually, and under the nummer they took when integrated in the De Lattre french Army

But in fact resistance was more an organised refusal to obey german orders. The first activity was collecting informations, and sending them to London. Groups were french, but management was often british, or polish

The second activity was the printing and distribution of false papers, to protect people the germans would have liked to arrest, resistants or jews

The printing and distribution of clandestine newspapers did also mobilise many people. The profession of clandestine printer was the more dangerous job in the resistance.

Then you had little groups of saboteurs, on transmission lines and rairoad equipment, working usually directly from home or factory

In 1943, we had the beginning of the maquis, were people ordered to go to work in Germany disappeared. These maquisards, generally not armed, did work in farms or spend time in forest, until they could join an organised group of the FFI. These maquis received some weapons from England, not much in fact, only in 1944. They had therefore to attack isolated german soldiers to obtain arms before being able to become a real menace for the ennemy.

Globally, for France, the number of resistants did probably not exceed 200 000 people, but the number was changing permanently, as germans arrested and sent to KZ in Germany, passed some arrested by the arms, disrupted groups, leaving some members of the resistance without links to comrades and action.

The number of civilians killed by the germans, resistance or not, can be estimated around 80 000. The number of germans killed by the resistance is probably under 10 000. Around 120 000 people were arrested and sent to camps. The total number of POW made during the retreat in august 1944 is unknown, reddition having often been made to regular troops, but I think a number around 500 000 is a correct estimation.

These numbers need verification and check up, but can be accepted as an "ordre de grandeur"

End 1943, There were nine security division, german with lots of ost-truppen, distributed in France. But the main danger was the german SD, located in main towns, like Lyon, Bordeaux, Angers, Marseille, Lille, Paris, with his net of traitors, and local correspondents