B.-Tross and G.-Tross

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Grzesio

B.-Tross and G.-Tross

Post by Grzesio »

Hello,

In the Stabsbatterie of the schwere Nebelwerferabteilung (mot) of 1943 there are two units listed at the end, abbreviated as B.-Tross and G.-Tross. What are they?
G.-Tross is apparently a Gepaecktross (not Gefechtstross, as this one is listed separately with full name). Am I right?
I have no idea about B.-Tross, though. Could anybody help me?

Regards

Grzesio
John Winner
Supporter

Re: B.-Tross and G.-Tross

Post by John Winner »

G.-Tross is Gepäcktross - unit baggage train. I will get back to you on B.-Tross
Grzesio

Post by Grzesio »

Thank you!
As far as B.-Tross is concerned, looking here: http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn416b1feb44.htm it could be Batterietross maybe...? Although it seems to me, the Batterietross was an unit replacing (combining) both the Gefechts- and Gepaecktross - so simultaneous presence of Gefechts-, Gepaeck- and Batterietross in one Stabsbatterie is just too much.

Just one more question - what was the purpose of the Gefechtstross? It was stated "weapons and ammunition" here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13468&hilit=gefechtstross , what seems to be wrong, as a GT of an Abteilung size unit consisted of just 2-4 medium trucks (mostly troop carriers, one with a trailer), field kitchen, one light car and a motorbike.

Regards

Grzesio
John Winner
Supporter

Post by John Winner »

B.-Tross could be Bespanntross, I beieve this is a horsedrawn train. I have seen it in several KStN.

I think it probably depends upon the type of unit as to what the Tross are called, and what is being moved.

I have seen : Gefechtstross, Gepäcktross, Bespanntross, Batterietross, Tragtiertross, Abteilungstoss, Verpflegunsstross
Last edited by John Winner on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Winner
Supporter

Post by John Winner »

About your question on the sizes of a -Tross for abteilung sized units. I believe all of the units (Kompanie, etc.) all had their own supply structure within the larger unit, so you would also have to take into account all of those when seeing how many vehicles made up the supply structure within an Abteilung. So we would have -Tross for the Stab and Stabskompanie/Batterie, each Kompanie/Batterie, probably any other units within an Abteilung (eg. Nachrichten-, Aufkläungs-, Werkstatt- units), so in the end that adds up to quite a few vehicles for an Abteilung supply sructure.
Grzesio

Post by Grzesio »

Thank you very much!
I've never expected, the B.-Tross could have been such a puzzle...?

Kind regards

Grzesio