Uncle's Memoirs

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Ashrofter

Uncle's Memoirs

Post by Ashrofter »

I received a small memoir typed up by my Cousin from his father's life growing up in Austria pre WWII, post WWII, and with a short section on his service in the army at the end of WWII.

My German is not good enough to translate it, but I know he was born in 1926 and can make out he was part of an SMG team (I think) was deployed in early 1945 battles around Neisse, Halbe, Cottbus and was running west from the Russians.

I'd love to get these +- 10 pages translated and get any input on which unit he might have been in, so I can read up on the period/location.

He did survive the war after being captured by the Americans, and was put in a POW camp from where he escaped to avoid the starvation and disease there, and went home to have a normal civilian life after the war.

Can anyone recommend a service or resource for this, or would any members be able to help?
gerhard2
Supporter

Re: Uncle's Memoirs

Post by gerhard2 »

Hi:
If you like I can give it a try.
Considering that I have not spoken German for many years it would take me a while.
I was born in 1926 and likely had similar experiences.
Gerhard
goodwillberlin

Post by goodwillberlin »

id be happy to take on some work. just drop me a line...
A.J.Lö

Post by A.J.Lö »

Wenn es reicht, dann Ich will auch hilfen!

:up:

Andreas