Wood gas vehicles: firewood in the fuel tank

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

German-American

Post by German-American »

( Link to the article and pictures are at the bottom of the article. )

During the Second World War, almost every motorised vehicle in continental Europe was converted to use firewood.

Wood gas cars (also known as producer gas cars) are a not-so-elegant but surprisingly efficient and ecological alternative to their petrol (gasoline) cousins, whilst their range is comparable to that of electric cars.

Rising fuel prices and global warming have caused renewed interest in this almost-forgotten technology: worldwide, dozens of handymen drive around in their home-made woodmobiles.
Wood gasification is a proces whereby organic material is converted into a combustible gas under the influence of heat - the process reaches a temperature of 1,400 °C (2,550 °F). The first use of wood gasification dates back to 1870s, when it was used as a forerunner of natural gas for street lighting and cooking.

In the 1920s, German engineer Georges Imbert developed a wood gas generator for mobile use. The gases were cleaned and dried and then fed into the vehicle's combustion engine, which barely needs to be adapted. The Imbert generator was mass produced from 1931 on. At the end of the 1930s, about 9,000 woodgas vehicles were in use, almost exclusively in Europe.

Second World War

The technology became commonplace in many European countries during the Second World War, as a consequence of the rationing of fossil fuels. In Germany alone, around 500,000 producer gas vehicles were in operation by the end of the war.
A network of some 3,000 "petrol stations" was set up, where drivers could stock up on firewood. Not only private cars but also trucks, buses, tractors, motorcycles, ships and trains were equipped with a wood gasification unit. Some tanks were driven on wood gas, too, but for military use the Germans preferred the production of liquid synthetic fuels (made out of wood or coal).

In 1942 (when the technology had not yet reached the height of its popularity), there were about 73,000 producer gas vehicles in Sweden, 65,000 in France, 10,000 in Denmark, 9,000 in both Austria and Norway, and almost 8,000 in Switzerland. Finland had 43,000 "woodmobiles" in 1944, of which 30,000 were buses and trucks, 7,000 private vehicles, 4,000 tractors and 600 boats. (source).

Woodmobiles also appeared in the US, Asia and, particularly, Australia, which had 72,000 vehicles running on woodgas (source). Altogether, more than one million producer gas vehicles were used during World War Two.

After the war, when gasoline once again available, the technology fell into oblivion almost instantaneously. At the beginning of the 1950s, the then West-Germany only had some 20,000 woodmobiles left.

The same is true for this Mercedes-Benz, in which the installation is completely hidden in the trunk (source).

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/ ... .html#more

Does anyone remember these cars ?
John W. Howard

Re: Wood gas vehicles: firewood in the fuel tank

Post by John W. Howard »

My father saw many of them, both during and after the war in Europe.
John W. Howard
German-American

That is cool. Do you or any of the guys know how many of them are currently on the road in Germany ?

One other question. Would these cars be able to be driven on the autobahn today ?
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello German American:
I have no idea how many are on the road, but apparently, according to the article you posted the link for, some can cruise as fast as 68mph with a top speed of 75mph; that might get you by in the right lane of the Autobahn; I am not too sure about the left 8) Best wishes.
John W. Howard
German-American

It sounds like the wood gas vehicles would not survive on today's modern autobahn but it would be cool if the autobahn was cleared for one day so that the wood-mobiles could attend the annual ( or the very first annual ) wood-mobile festivals that Germany is well known for with festivals, good family get-togethers and good beer. That would help boost tourism dollars. :up:
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Being a teenager in the Netherlands, in the early 40's, I remember them well.
But if I remember it correctly, even wood-chips were allocated on a base of need. First the German army, next auxiliary organizations, and last civilian use,. Of the latter, Doctors, firetrucks, and ambulances had priority.
These were a far cry from today's designs. On Army trucks they were often placed on the left side, right behind the driver seat.
But all of them were ugly as sin 8) big burning tanks, large sacks of whatever, etc.
I also remember a few small tanks; I think "Beutewaffen" French Renaulds, with an extended platform on the rear. Again, ugly as sin, but seem to be running well.
Another form of fuel, was household coal-gas; this required a BIG flattened balloon on the top of the vehicle, but could be reloaded at home; ergo they were often used by doctors, because they drove short distances to make their house calls ( YES !!!!! they actually DID make house calls in those days.) :up: 8)
Funny that these so called outdated inventions have a rebirth. Especially where it is know that there still is so much underground oil reserve to be pumped to last us an other 100 years. ( oh yes, I do know the "sky is falling" doomsayers), but remember that in 1942 my senior class high-school science teacher told us that this war could not last very long, because they soon would run out of oil. :( :D
Oh well.
Haen
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !