OoB of the 83rd Infantry Division "The Rag Tag Boys&quo

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Tony
Supporter

OoB of the 83rd Infantry Division "The Rag Tag Boys&quo

Post by Tony »

Can anyone give me any info on what captured equipment were used by
"The Rag Tag Boys"? I've read elsewhere they acquired a German aircraft and flew it from time to time.
cheers
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

The US 83rd Infantry Division was the Thunderbolt Division. For your information, thiwas an ground infantry unit.
Christian
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

Yes.. I understand they were a ground unit... but they acquired a German aircraft and a pilot to fly it... thats what I read in Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle".... they used alot of captured equipment from what Ive heard
cheers
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
Christian
Patron

The Rag Tag Circus - 329th Infantry

Post by Christian »

I now better understand your question. You are referring to the dash to Berlin by the 329th Infantry Regiment (83rd Infantry Division) in April 1945.
On April 10th, 1945, the XIX Corps received orders to push forward.
The day before, Thunderbold Division had returned all remaining trucks (depleted stock) to supply depots, in order to be replenished. This order to advance thus came when trucks were not available, so any and all transportation was gathered together.
The unit covered about 280 miles in 13 days, using jeeps, tanks, trailers, German trucks, ambulances, motorcycles, command cars and anything that they could find that would run. This earned them the name of Rag-Tag Circus.

On April 12th, the 3rd Battalion, 329th Infantry, received orders to move as rapidly as possible to the Elbe River and to capture the railroad bridge at Barby. There is a reference that elements of this unit literally flew about 35 miles to reach the river.

Here is a link that might be of interest to you:
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/documents/elbe-fm.htm

Cheers,

Christian